Sony planning to release UMD games online?

Where'd you read this? Source?
I've heard of PSOne games for PSP downloadable online in the near future, but not about UMD games.

rabidrabbit said:
Where'd you read this? Source?
I've heard of PSOne games for PSP downloadable online in the near future, but not about UMD games.
It's on Ign. It was said at the GDC.

You're over-reacting and jumping to conclusions... It's been said so far that SCE plans to release PSone titles (running on an emulator) as digital downloads as well as other miscellaneous titles (both large and small)...

archie4oz said:
You're over-reacting and jumping to conclusions... It's been said so far that SCE plans to release PSone titles (running on an emulator) as digital downloads as well as other miscellaneous titles (both large and small)...
Hi there! I'm an alter ego of a member here. Anyway, "He said the PSone games and other content would be available via archive servers, but that the PSP would get the ability to boot off of and store entire games onto a Memory Stick Duo. However, he emphasized that Sony would continue to release games via the PSP's proprietary Universal Media Disc (UMD) format."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146436.html
My question is, since UMD movies are going to end soon and they are planing to seemingly release games online, will this foreshadow a redesign of PSP without a UMD drive? This would suck royally for owners of the psp...:rolleyes:

DUALDISASTER said:
My question is, since UMD movies are going to end soon and they are planing to seemingly release games online, will this foreshadow a redesign of PSP without a UMD drive? This would suck royally for owners of the psp...:rolleyes:

I'm not sure how it would necessarily royally suck, but I also don't see them doing it... not everyone has wifi or 2-4+GB mem sticks to get their games. You do realize that the main use of UMD is games? (UMD movie sales probably add up, total, to the sales of single game like GTA:LCS) UMD Movies being more or less ditched doesn't mean that UMD drive will go. The downloadable stuff will likely be smaller in size anyways (<200mb) -- Live Arcade style maybe?

UMD movies were one of those things that was likely added because it cost little for the benefit of another possible revenue stream. I'd say they would have been dumb not to try such a thing, but it seems it didn't work out (pricing strategy was terrible, target market wasn't well defined, etc).

Bobbler said:
I'm not sure how it would necessarily royally suck, but I also don't see them doing it... not everyone has wifi or 2-4+GB mem sticks to get their games. You do realize that the main use of UMD is games? (UMD movie sales probably add up, total, to the sales of single game like GTA:LCS) UMD Movies being more or less ditched doesn't mean that UMD drive will go. The downloadable stuff will likely be smaller in size anyways (<200mb) -- Live Arcade style maybe?

UMD movies were one of those things that was likely added because it cost little for the benefit of another possible revenue stream. I'd say they would have been dumb not to try such a thing, but it seems it didn't work out (pricing strategy was terrible, target market wasn't well defined, etc).
Thanks.

Back