Sony Game Studios Acquisitions [2022]

Last edited by a moderator:
probably make sense after microsoft aquisiton deal but I don't like this big acquisitions generaly, can't see any value here for players

Its very positive that Sony wants to give the studio as much independence as possible.

Yes, but I don't think Sony had a choice in this. The whole reason that Bungie left Microsoft despite their good working relationship was that they wanted independent control over game development. And because of that good working relationship between Bungie and MS, MS allowed Bungie to go independent rather than closing the studio down or keep them and then having all the key engineers leave.

Unless Sony were willing to allow them some level of autonomy from Sony control it is highly unlikely that Bungie would have agreed to be acquired.

Regards,
SB

Alternatively, Microsoft now own part of Sony. ;) Of course, all of this depends on whether or not MS still own that small equity interest.

This isn't how acquisitions work, unless you think Bungie is some Lord Voldemort style Horcrux, that is actually is a vessel for a piece of Phil Spencer's soul that will corrupt anybody who owns it. If so, that's dark man.

I guess this ensures that Microsoft Act/Blizz COD stays multiplatform, as Sony/Bungie Destiny stays multiplatform.

This isn't how acquisitions work, unless you think Bungie is some Lord Voldemort style Horcrux, that is actually is a vessel for a piece of Phil Spencer's soul that will corrupt anybody who owns it. If so, that's dark man.

Well, yes, likewise with Sony buying a piece of MS. :p I was going with the fantasy aspect that you presented.

In acquiring Bungie, Sony would be buying out Microsoft's minority interest in the company (if they still retain it) so they wouldn't be buying a part of Microsoft. Just like Microsoft didn't buy a part of every stockholder that owned shares (interest) in Activision-Blizzard. Although I guess you can kind of look at it that way. MS buying a part of hundreds of thousands of people and companies in acquiring Activision-Blizzard. :)

However, if instead Sony decided to offer shares (instead of cash) in Sony as compensation for any interest holders in Bungie then those interest holders would now own a part of Sony.

Regards,
SB

Must be great for Bungie employees who've been around for both the MS acquisition and now this.

They get two bites at the pie, with the second pie much bigger.

Some of them must have retired or moved on after Bungie went independent from MS, probably saw a big equity package gain then.

But why? What does bungie bring to the table? Now if MS did not buy acti and bethesda, would people care about this? I mean they are supposedly still going to release multiplatform titles..

But why? What does bungie bring to the table? Now if MS did not buy acti and bethesda, would people care about this? I mean they are supposedly still going to release multiplatform titles..

Bungie brings exclusive first party shooters to the playstation. MS has a huge collection of shooter ips and teams .

I have to be honest their output after leaving MS leaves a lot to be desired so hopefully under Sony they can get back some of the former glory they had

This is pretty much what I expected. Add one or two independent devs that fill gaps in their portfolio off games. Bunge has pedigree with shooters and is due to have another game come out. No idea what's in the works, but their strengths should round out what Sony is lacking.

Interesting to see how the value of Bungie has changed pre and post Halo/Destiny.

Microsoft's acquisition of Bungie is estimated to have been between 20 and 40 million USD in 2000. That would be ~32 to 64 million USD adjusted for inflation.

Bungie were much more affordable before they made Halo and Destiny. :p

Regards,
SB

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-sony-buying-bungie-for-usd3-6-billion

Sony Interactive Entertainment today announced a deal to acquire Bungie for $3.6 billion, the latest in a string of big-ticket consolidation deals in the games industry.

After the deal closes, Bungie will be “an independent subsidiary” of SIE run by a board of directors consisting of current CEO and chairman Pete Parsons and the rest of the studio’s current management team.

Sony has said Bungie will remain a multiplatform studio, with the option “to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose to play.”

At present, the studio is working on maintaining Destiny 2, expanding the Destiny franchise, and working on new IP.​

Back