Sony expects to sell 2.5 - 3 mln PSPs this holiday season

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051020/tc_nm/media_sony_holiday_dc

"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T) plans to sell between 2.5 million and 3 million PlayStation Portable handheld video game devices in its first North American holiday season, the head of Sony Computer Entertainment America said.

"We're going to try to double the installed base between now and the end of the year," Kaz Hirai, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and chief executive, told Reuters in a telephone interview.

Hirai said the company had sold about 2.3 million PSPs in North America as of the end of September."

"The company also said it would begin offering a PSP Giga Pack for $299. The PSP bundle will hit stores in time for the holidays and include various accessories such as a 1-gigabyte memory stick, which can store about 30 hours of music."

That's a big target and they won't do it if they don't get the content. They need some strong game titles and decent availibility of PSP media, plus a marketting push to show people this. Do we know of any major games set for December?

Shifty Geezer said:
That's a big target and they won't do it if they don't get the content. They need some strong game titles and decent availibility of PSP media, plus a marketting push to show people this. Do we know of any major games set for December?

Well there's the.. what was it .. GTA :) Ok so it'll be out in a week or two but I'll be surprised if it doesn't shift loads of units just by itself.

Shifty Geezer said:
What's GTA?

Grannies Tour America?
Groin Test Automator?

But yeah, back to the point. Besides GTA, I'm not sure but if memory serves me right, these should be available soon:

Daxter
Pursuit Force
Winning Eleven 9 / PES 5

But yeah, dunno for sure and dunno how much those titles alone can help sell PSP units. Final Fantasy would though, was there some FF offshoot in the works?

Back