Sony Ericsson talks PlayStation phone; shows PowerVR demos

B3D News

Beyond3D News
Regular
While not promising the release of a PlayStation phone anytime soon, Peter Ahnegard - head of Sony Ericsson's gaming unit - entertained the idea of a PlayStation branded gaming phone being an idea that is being seriously considered by the company at present.

Read the full news item

They really should consider 2 skus and keep psp backwards compatibility, but take out the umd drive(let people rip games from umd to more power efficient media or offer them as downloads).
Consent in a psp2 architecture, cpu, ram, gpu, wireless, touch-sensing, etc and make a handheld console with just those basic features but under U$200.
Then they can build on top of that platform more features, cell phone, multimedia, video-calls, etc, a platform where they can go crazy on the extraware and charge premium prices.

That would assure psp is competitive as a console and as capable as they wish as a high-end portable console/multimedia/smartphone/tricorder/etc. :D

Would it be PSP compatible though? If yes, they have a great little gaming phone. But the demands of PSP - drain on battery, need for large screen - make it unsuitable for a mobile. Given that report, my guess is it's a development independent of Sony's gaming division.

Unlikely to be PSP compatible.

From the blurb and what we have seen so far, it sounds like it will have:
* Motion control/aware, possibly with gaming button(s)
* Playstation Home UI (The lean one)
* Probably J2ME-based (Sony mentioned Java scripting for PS Home)

most likely OpenGL ES 1.1 based though would love it to be ES 2.0 but alittle too soon for OMAP3. Hoping the phone has an OMAP2420 inside and not the lower spec PNX4008 as used in the P990,P1i,W950,W960,M600 UIQ3.0 series.

Back