Sony CES 2009 Keynote video

Yeah it all goes downhill from there, Hanks should've been the big finish (not actually seen to the end yet mind you)

That was pretty entertaining.

But is it just me or did it cut off at the end abruptly? Felt like there was more left than in the video.

Well this wasnt exactly related to Videogames. It was related to consumer electronics in general.

It doesnt say anything new about the PS3 except from the 3D technology. It mostly informs the "uneducated" about its features and where it is going. Interesting products from Sony though.

It was in general a nice presentation. It was very entertaining. Dont expect anything mindblowing for people like us though.

Kaz Hirai isnt a good presenter though. He does the work but he is not inspirational. It makes it too obvious that he memorized what he was going to say. Lacks the passion Phil had. He reminds me of MS's presentations which I hate with a passion. MS have the worst presenters on the planet.

I don't know, where would we be today without "Developers, developers, developers, developers ...... and so on"

I used to think Pete Moore did an OK job, all be it a wooden one, but using Balmer as a guide anyone would look good.

I total agree about Sony, none of them can hold a candle to Phil whoever let him go (or made him feel he needed to leave) is surely paying for it now.

The official word (from him) is that he was about to go into the next development cycle to make the PS4. He didn't want to do that anymore after three times.

The official word (from him) is that he was about to go into the next development cycle to make the PS4. He didn't want to do that anymore after three times.
Leaving a job he loved for a struggling developer that has been trading off a name (they had little to do with making) for the last some-odd years and has been close to closure several times?

I think there's no doubt he was pushed or made to feel unwelcome to be honest.

I think there is doubt, because neither you or me definitely know.

You're just putting out theories, which I find quite inappropriate.

I'm not asking anyone to be a sheep, but I would expect you to stick to the facts when discussing them.

Well, maybe you should've read more about it when he left. No smoke without fire.

It's very clear why he left, and it wasn't because he was let go. I thought that was painfully clear to all who paid attention at the time, but apparently I'm wrong. Ditto on why he joined Atari, especially when you put both into context.

I know Phil Harrison is popular among gamers but the only developer comment I know about him after he left Sony is this one
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171196
Continuing this conversation, Hollywood noted that the video was created before the E3 2005 Sony press conference where the PlayStation 3 was unveiled, but the developer didn't actually know the technical specifications of the PS3 until the conference itself. "They actually announced the specifications on a slideshow presentation [at E3]. We sat and jotted them down, and then they showed our movie," Hollywood explained. "It was like, 'This is what the PlayStation 3 can do, and this is what you'll get on it.' We're sitting there trying to do the math in our head and asking, 'Can we really do this stuff?'"

If that's not shocking enough, Kershaw also discussed the always relevant question of whether or not the trailer was misrepresented as in-game footage. He admitted that although nobody may have said the game was "in-game code," no one denied it either. Kershaw did reveal one amusing anecdote from the experience, though: "The only thing was it was done by a company up the road called Real Time, so in theory it was 'real time.'"

Elsewhere in the interview, Hollywood gave the sordid story of the first time the team showed off a very early version of MotorStorm in action to Sony:

"We showed Motorstorm to the board of Sony in November 2005. So basically the infamous E3 video had been out, so there were all these expectations about the rendering prowess we were going to expose. And we showed them a lot of boxes. Then we went on a world tour of all the first-party developers that were there, like Ninja Theory with Heavenly Sword. At the end of the show, Phil Harrison took us to one side and said, 'You guys are the worst in the world....' At that point we said, 'Right, we'll show you.' To go from worst in the world to best-selling [PlayStation 3] game in the world...."

As for the keynote, I think it's a well-balanced one with good entertainment here and there if not mindblowing. Especially at this time of recession it's a good style to represent the CE industry with quiet confidence. As for Kaz Hirai, I think he did his job as a chief of a division in Sony with not many hyperboles. He knows he's not the leading character in the keynote, also the audience are different from those coming to E3. If he had given a wrong message that the game division is doing their own thing, it would have been one of subjects in news articles where writers criticize confusion in Sony's strategy.

Back