Sony and Microsoft first party strategy

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by chris1515, Aug 29, 2017.

1. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

I'm not holding my breath on Microsoft bringing more games to other consoles. For many, Minecraft is about multiplayer so you have enable others, even those not on your platform, to get in otherwise you're limiting the online potential on the people who are on your platform.

Shout when Halo 5 (not just Forge) is playable on Windows. Microsoft haven't brought their biggest franchise to their biggest platform, when even Halo was releases on Windows and Mac.

2. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/17/...craft-leader-matt-booty-to-no-2-job-in-games/
    Pretty big deal and it would also appear I got Shannon Loftis' job role incorrect, I thought she was responsible for this, but apparently not.
    So I assume this position was approved because game development and publishing was taking up too many cycles and they need Phil to focus on hardware, overall library and game platform strategy. That's a pretty big deal, for several reasons, but the main one being that it's clear games is a key focus for MS. You're not hiring more and more people into it if you plan to abort.

Xbox is certainly maturing, will be very interested to see where this goes. I'm expecting a lot more platform changes in the coming years as a result of this announcement. My expectations have changed now for MS, I'm certainly expecting more as a result of these changes. Though I don't expect to see major results for at least 3 years.

The call to move Matt Booty into this position seems like a good fit according to what I can read from the article.

@Shifty Geezer as per our discussion about 'long term' ;)

#242 iroboto, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    RootKit, BRiT and AzBat like this.
  3. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

This article might offer a little insight into choosing Matt Booty from Mojang...

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-minecraft-100-year-brand-2016-9

I think it's a great way to bring in a different view. Will definitely be interesting to see the results a few years down the road.

Tommy McClain

RootKit and iroboto like this.
  4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

There's a lot in this article.
    this was made me say j**** f*ck
    That shit prints $$$$
    Really tells you a lot about the value of an exclusive if you're printing these types of numbers.

RootKit and AzBat like this.
  5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I'll still be (moderately) surprised if they release a console and then have no exclusives because they release them on PS too.
    To make companies lots and lots of filthy lucre. ;)

6. DrJay24

Veteran

Looking at Game Informers top 50 games of 2017 and you can see MS's problem. I don't think there is one of the XB1 game that isn't on the PC and none were full retail AAA games.

Console exclusives
    Sony: 11
    XB1: 4

7. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

well damn. That changes things for me. right @Shifty Geezer
    Man... its almost like they are setting their service up for streaming on any device ;)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/...s-subscription-future-games-microsoft-studios

#247 iroboto, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    BRiT and AzBat like this.
  8. bunge

Regular Newcomer

What is “Game Pass”?

EDIT: “When we launched Xbox Game Pass in June 2017, we knew we wanted to craft a service with gamers in mind. That meant a diverse, expanding library of over 100 games and counting, matched with one monthly price and unlimited access to download and play full-fidelity experiences.”

9. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

That'll expand Game Pass but doesn't point to a platform agnostic future at all. When these games are playable on non-MS ecosystems, you'll have a point. Until then it's no different to any other company trying to expand its ecosystem across devices to leverage software as a lock-in.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...-let-ios-apps-run-on-the-mac-in-2018---report
    https://www.sonymobile.com/gb/apps-services/remote-play/

Remote Play is a good example where it could be rolled out to all smartphones but Sony have tried to use it as a brand differentiator in the Android space. At the moment, MS want people to buy their games on Windows Store or subscribe to Game Pass. With gamers using Game Pass, they'll want to continue buying devices that supports that library, which'll be Windows PC, and future XBox, and potentially even Windows on mobile. That's a great incentive to attract users onto MS's ecosystem - why would they give that up to let people play Game Pass games on PlayStation or iPhone (and would Sony or Apple allow it?)?

MS has billions of PCs out there and the chance to convert all those PC users to Windows mobile users and XBox console owners. That's in fact their only chance to push their ecosystem into new markets, to get everyone from Windows PC to buy into MS mobile and console and TV boxes etc. Giving up one of their major USPs doesn't make much sense.

10. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Throw in Game Pass + Office + Gold for $20/mo or $200/yr. :3

11. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

It's coming, just waiting to see it happen. Might still be a long time out. You'll need a lot of GPUS to support this type of thing I think.

BRiT likes this.
  12. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

13. Scott_Arm

Legend

14. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Their SpyForce drivers totally don't track things. ninja.gif

BRiT likes this.
  15. Scott_Arm

Legend

But are they going to send lawyers to reclaim their gpus?

16. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

They can float16 and sputter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

nVidia's EULA being discussed elsewhere. Not here, thanks.

BRiT likes this.
  18. dobwal

Legend Veteran

AzBat likes this.