Sony acquires Insomniac Games

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shifty Geezer, Aug 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

As would have been the loss of revenue. ;)

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Sure, but that's true of all exclusives, yet companies still do them. Considering how popular Minecraft was and still is, that would be a huge exclusive. It's quite possible that Minecraft being exclusive could have lead to far more XBO sales. Although an argument could be made that people that bought the console only for Minecraft, may not then buy more games for the platform.

Regards,
    SB

3. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

There's no way XB exclusivity of Minecraft would have resulted in more money. It's ubiquity means loads of franchising on top of huge mobile earnings. Something like Spider-Man is debatable. It'd lose millions of sales versus releasing on XB and PC as well, but also sell a couple million PS4's and strengthen the brand. Potential losses in raw revenue would be made up for with brand strengthening, maknig that in Sony's eyes a net win versus making it multiplatform (tbhey can also leverage it to try and promote PSNow on PC). But for MC, there's no way the XB brand would be strengthened to the tune of hundreds of million a year. Everyone would have just been sorely pissed that their favourite game was being axed from their mobile/console and they had to buy an expensive new box to play it. There was nothing altruistic about keeping MC multi-platform. MS's acquisitions aren't any nicer than anyone else's. They leverage them to maximise profits and strengthen their platforms as they see fit. Bungiw was bought to make Halo XB exclusive and shift boxes, and ya boo sucks to all those Mac gamers who had been looking forwards to it.

Xbat, BRiT and Shortbread like this.
  4. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I agree for the most part. But certain developers do better with more resources at their fingertips. Developers like "PlayGround Games" makes much sense being under Microsoft's umbrella, as "Insomniac" being under Sony's umbrella. Point being, if the companies have a great history of working with each other, and the developer(s) are going to need more-and-more resources on making AAA/AAAA games, then I see no problem.

But purchasing someone like an EA, Activision, Take-2, Bethesda, Capcom, Konami, and Square-Enix would be a big issue for consumers.

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yes, just like Spiderman being exclusive isn't going to net hundreds of millions more. If it was multiplatform, Sony would have sold a ton more copies. And similar to Spiderman, Minecraft being exclusive likely would have shifted few million more consoles.

The point of exclusives is to expand the reach of a console and strengthen its brand. To make someone want to buy it over the competition. Also to clarify, I meant console exclusivity. The title would still be available on mobile and PC as that is the direction that Microsoft is moving.

Sure, short term there would have been blow back if they did it immediately. But if they only made it such that all new content was exclusive the blow back would have been less. And as we've seen with some of the outrage over some of Sony's moves (cross platform play, for example...or the whole mess with Fortnite accounts) most gamers have a pretty short memory.

Although I guess this being Microsoft, people might be more likely to hold a grudge.

Regards,
    SB

6. DrJay24

Veteran

Man, you must be pissed at MS recently...

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  7. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Sunset Overdrive is a fully owned IP by Sony/Insomniac. However, Microsoft has first refusal towards a sequel. And Sony pulling Sunset Overdrive from Gamepass would violate the original agreement between Insomniac and Microsoft on providing such a title for their GP service (however, there maybe a limited term or end date to such a contract).

#27 Shortbread, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  8. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

How many MS owned titles have been on only 1 platform?

9. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Microsoft games are exclusive to microsoft platforms except for a handful. The fact that they juggle two platforms is irrelevant.

Halo/gears/forza are not releasing on ps4 or switch because their successful franchises are used to push their own platform.

(I would have listed more games but I can't think of any others)

ToTTenTranz and BRiT like this.
  10. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Maybe they want to minimize the chance of having to deal with anti-trust laws and enormous customer backfire.
    It wont come without huge consequences.

11. rokkerkory

Regular Newcomer

pretty nice get for Sony!

12. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

[​IMG]

13. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Yes, but they're not the number one on the list. Fuck You Nintendo!

milk likes this.
  14. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I haven't kept up with Nintendo acquisitions, whom have they acquired?

15. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Well not their acquisitions, but their exclusives. Nintendo won't release their games on anything but their anemic and expensively priced platforms. I want to play some of their games but not to the tune of buying an expensive fourth hardware platform (PC, Xbox, Playstation).

Shortbread likes this.
  16. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

I think they invested in a money printer. :yep2:

Shortbread likes this.
  17. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Everybody has a price, but only Sony has a Ted Price! :D I think this is good development for Insomniac. They have released ~20 games for PS consoles, they were always strongly aligned to Sony, and now will always get full support from PlayStation worldwide machine.

As for Xbox port talk... Microsoft's stance about the ports to other consoles is now clear. Those ports are "prior commitments", from now on they are focused on games on MS platforms.
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ore-xbox-exclusives-on-ps4-or-nintendo-switch

On the other hand, Sony has just announced a PC game https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/readyset-heroes/home

milk likes this.
  18. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

When was the last time Insomniac made a multiplat available on different platforms ?

19. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

20. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Shortbread and BRiT like this.