Some US Black Friday sales numbers

Black Fri wk. 2007 2008 2009

Wii 350,000 800,000 550,000

DS 653,000 ~780,000 1,000,000+

PS3 ~155,000 ~130,000 440,000

X360 310,000 ~390,000 "double previous Nov week"

Sources

I used VGChartz simply because they have all the links to the real sources bunched together.

Without knowing what the 360 did, good numbers for the PS3 and Wii (although the Wii is down from last year's BF). The bundles Sony had for BF probably helped a lot. Would've helped more if they shipped more as it seems that they all sold out quickly.

edit: that didn't turn out the way I wanted it. Oh well, you get the idea.

edit2: just realized VGC used the same link for all 3 numbers, so here's a direct link.

click me

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap...

First, Walmart began selling bundles of the company’s Xbox 360 Arcade — the lowest priced unit at $199 — with $100 Walmart gift cards.

Are they still doing that? 99 USD for an X360? I wouldn't even have to wait for my launch unit to break before picking up one with HDMI at that price. Arcades come with HDMI now right?

Regards,
SB

I don't think so. That wasn't even a Black Friday deal, was it? I remember it happening early in November, so much that some people thought it was going to show up in Oct's NPD.

Holy crap...

Are they still doing that? 99 USD for an X360? I wouldn't even have to wait for my launch unit to break before picking up one with HDMI at that price. Arcades come with HDMI now right?

Regards,
SB

It's not $99, it's $200 with a $100 gift card that you can use on a later purchase.

Still not a bad deal, but I wouldn't rush out to go buy an Arcade Unit because of it. I'd rather spend my $200 on the great deals that were online for a lot of games.

It's not $99, it's $200 with a $100 gift card that you can use on a later purchase.

That's being pedantic and nitpicky, and you know it.

If I turned right around and went back in to buy whatever I had come to Walmart to buy...be it Christmas gifts or whatever, I've essentially saved 100 USD buying the arcade. In other words, no matter where that money is spent, the Arcade is effectively 99 USD.

And Obonicus, that quote was from the article implying that was the kick-off of MS's sales numbers for either Black Friday or last week. If it was something else, that's really rather shoddy journalism.

Regards,
SB

That's being pedantic and nitpicky, and you know it.

If I turned right around and went back in to buy whatever I had come to Walmart to buy...be it Christmas gifts or whatever, I've essentially saved 100 USD buying the arcade. In other words, no matter where that money is spent, the Arcade is effectively 99 USD.

And Obonicus, that quote was from the article implying that was the kick-off of MS's sales numbers for either Black Friday or last week. If it was something else, that's really rather shoddy journalism.

Regards,
SB

I'm not being nit picky, I'm just arguing semantics. If I buy something on amazon (like my recently purchased DJ Hero) and get a gift card (like the $40 credit they gave me) I didn't save $40 on DJ Hero. I got money to spend on other things.

You can argue that it was $99, but the reality is you still paid $200, and then had $100 in credit to spend on other things, but in the end you still paid $200 for your arcade unit, and saved money on things you bought later on a completely separate purchase.

So, like I said, I still think $200 in videogames (which could have been a lot on Black Friday) is a much better way to spend your money than buying a $200 system and then getting $100 in games for free.

Major props to Sony. Not only did they drop the price by $100, they had some killer bundles throughout black friday. MS had a very poor BF showing. The bundles were garbage. Their most desireable bundle was $399....

I'm not being nit picky, I'm just arguing semantics.

LOL.

So, like I said, I still think $200 in videogames (which could have been a lot on Black Friday) is a much better way to spend your money than buying a $200 system and then getting $100 in games for free.

I'd take the free stuff thankyouverymuch (in this example anyway). $300 worth of goods > $200 worth of goods.

Holy crap...

Regards,
SB

Rumor is they will do it one more time for a new years eve / day sale. Be on the look out

The bundles Sony had for BF probably helped a lot. Would've helped more if they shipped more as it seems that they all sold out quickly.

Sony definitely did not sell out of PS3's; walking around stores there were walls made out of them, as well as Wii's. Towers of 360's as well. Sony definitely sold a lot of systems this past weekend - and I think it's safe to say that the PS3 was *the* system this Black Friday... everyone was highlighting them, and everyone was looking for deals on them. But sell out they did not. I think there must've been like a million units in the channel for this one event.

Sony definitely did not sell out of PS3's; walking around stores there were walls made out of them, as well as Wii's. Towers of 360's as well. Sony definitely sold a lot of systems this past weekend - and I think it's safe to say that the PS3 was *the* system this Black Friday... everyone was highlighting them, and everyone was looking for deals on them. But sell out they did not. I think there must've been like a million units in the channel for this one event.
I meant the bundles they had for BF. ;)

I certainly can't say myself that they sold out everywhere, but word around the net from message boards and gaming sites seem to indicate that they were snatched up fairly quickly. GAF had a BF musings thread and everyone that worked in retail said they sold out of the BF bundles. VGChartz (I know, not the greatest source) but they also said the bundles were "sold out everywhere".

I meant the bundles they had for BF. ;)

I certainly can't say myself that they sold out everywhere, but word around the net from message boards and gaming sites seem to indicate that they were snatched up fairly quickly. GAF had a BF musings thread and everyone that worked in retail said they sold out of the BF bundles. VGChartz (I know, not the greatest source) but they also said the bundles were "sold out everywhere".

Ah, ah ha - ok I see what you're saying now. Well I must say that I am a "deal watcher" when it comes to Black Friday, and sure the BF deals did sell out on Black Friday itself. But they were in fact renewed going into Saturday and Sunday. I know Best Buy at least started doing the bundle again - maybe they got clearance from Sony - and it was available both in store and online. I live in a major metro area as well, so it's not like this was an area where the BF deals had hung over.

If you track forums like 'SlickDeals(.net)' rather than GAF, you'll get a better real-time sense of what is going on in terms of deals and such. :)

For example Dell, had a deal on the PS3 show up on Saturday that ultimately got me the Slim for ~$230. Now - I don't need it, and I can't even think of who to give it to so I might just cancel the order, but I've got to keep my finger on the pulse of the deals. (You have no idea how many netbooks I bought.)

Ah, ah ha - ok I see what you're saying now. Well I must say that I am a "deal watcher" when it comes to Black Friday, and sure the BF deals did sell out on Black Friday itself. But they were in fact renewed going into Saturday and Sunday. I know Best Buy at least started doing the bundle again - maybe they got clearance from Sony - and it was available both in store and online. I live in a major metro area as well, so it's not like this was an area where the BF deals had hung over.

If you track forums like 'SlickDeals(.net)' rather than GAF, you'll get a better real-time sense of what is going on in terms of deals and such. :)

For example Dell, had a deal on the PS3 show up on Saturday that ultimately got me the Slim for ~$230. Now - I don't need it, and I can't even think of who to give it to so I might just cancel the order, but I've got to keep my finger on the pulse of the deals. (You have no idea how many netbooks I bought.)
I don't track US deals much as I live in Canada and I'm not that close to the border. We have a similar site to slickdeals (redflagdeals). Regular visitors to such sites make so many people buy things they don't actually need, but I try to limit myself. :smile:

It's going to be a very close NPD between PS3/360. 360 had the MW2 bundles and $99 Arcades early in the month, while PS3 seemed very strong on BF.

I agree with the guy who said MS had some terrible bundles..for goodness sakes one of their main bundles featured COD4. They dropped the ball there. Especially that being relatively high priced currently, imo MS needs to be doing much more to "sweeten the pot" than their competitor.

440k PS3 sales in a week/day/whatever for PS3 mean 700-800k for the month. Very big number. Edit: just went back and looked and 360 did 836k in Nov 08, so I guess it's in line.

Wii is definitely suffering some anemia. Even the cut to 199 couldn't stop the bleeding entirely. I'm not sure what Nintendo would feel they need to do, if anything. I'm certain theyre loath to cut off any more of the absurd hardware profits they rake in on Wii. Some of it just might be a little bit of pure market saturation. Speaking of Wii, I'm about to buy one, and it's interesting how the price is much higher than the nominal. First, I have to get NSMB Wii, which I understand is a great 4 player game...but now I need up to 3 extra controllers, yeah, the dollars add up fast. It's somewhat unique to Wii since it's such a party system.

Also, DS sales should really show that DS2 is just not coming anytime soon imo, contrary to near constant speculation otherwise over the years. There's just no reason for it too at all. What possible good could it do Nintendo? They cant sell any MORE handhelds than they already are, that's for sure.

The Arcade unit has always come with HDMI. The Core unit didn't, but Arcade replaced it in October 2007.

Cool, thanks for the info, I hadn't really paid much attention to the core/arcade.

Guess I'll try to keep my eyes out for another one of those Walmart deals on the Arcade... Still probably shouldn't do it until my launch system dies, but would really like to get HDMI.

Regards,
SB

Back