Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

Oh, oops. Said Sony exclusive titles coming to PC in the thread. i didn't realize it was reserved for first party only. We are only looking at titles that come out as a Sony exclusive and then ported to PC?

Could also be a part of Sony's new plan of releasing on PS5 and PC. It's not going to Xbox nor anywhere else so far. 7 years ago, this might not have happened.

Oh, oops. Said Sony exclusive titles coming to PC in the thread. i didn't realize it was reserved for first party only. We are only looking at titles that come out as a Sony exclusive and then ported to PC?
You really should read the OP at least. ;) Changed title to reflect - yes, it's about Sony become a multiplatform publisher bringing the previously exclusive PlayStation IPs to PC.

Horizon: Zero Dawn will launch on PC this Summer, PlayStation has confirmed.

Hulst doesn't rule out more first-party games coming to PC, but says there are no plans to release PC versions of PlayStation games at the same time as their console counterparts. Horizon: Zero Dawn launched on PS4 in March 2017.

"I think it's important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation, and show people maybe what they've been missing out on," he said.

"And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-10-horizon-zero-dawn-confirmed-for-pc

Horizon: Zero Dawn will launch on PC this Summer, PlayStation has confirmed.

Hulst doesn't rule out more first-party games coming to PC, but says there are no plans to release PC versions of PlayStation games at the same time as their console counterparts. Horizon: Zero Dawn launched on PS4 in March 2017.

"I think it's important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation, and show people maybe what they've been missing out on," he said.

"And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-10-horizon-zero-dawn-confirmed-for-pc

"At the same time, we’re going to be very open to experimentation, to new ideas. "
" I think it’s important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation, and show people
maybe what they’ve been missing out on."

"And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC."
"We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

SIE says clearly this is their new idea to introduce more people to PlayStation.
They probably release Horizon 1 PC for attracting PC users to buy Horizon 2 & PS5.

"At the same time, we’re going to be very open to experimentation, to new ideas. "
" I think it’s important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation, and show people
maybe what they’ve been missing out on."

"And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC."
"We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

SIE says clearly this is their new idea to introduce more people to PlayStation.
They probably release Horizon 1 PC for attracting PC users to buy Horizon 2 & PS5.

Or subscribe to Playstation Now.

No this isn't just that, this is a complete shift in focus, I fully expect Sony to release most if not every exclusive on PC at some point in time. They are gradually building up to that.
Nintendo's method is still the best for consoles: exclusive system-sellers.

I expect the big 4 will still be PlayStation Exclusive: Gran Turismo, God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted.

Nintendo's method is still the best for consoles: exclusive system-sellers.

I expect the big 4 will still be PlayStation Exclusive: Gran Turismo, God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted.
Maybe, but times are changing, this isn't the 2000s anymore.

Moore's law is dying, making chips and contracting them is expensive, building the console requires hard work. Also making quality exclusive games is expensive.

Sony realized that their limit is 120 million install base max, and with heavy discounts too, even when they are the dominant player, this is simply not enough to maintain a viable business long term. If competition is strong their install base will be even lower than that.

Solution is to expand the market and the target audience, by opening up their exclusives to more players, recouping some of the costs of making these games, just like Microsoft did.

Sony is going to gradually transition to this business model, just like Microsoft did as well, Microsoft didn't come out of the blue to announce their first party titles coming to PC, they took their time, experiminted with it first at the beginning of the generation, released a few titles on PC here and there, then fully embraced the concept mid gen, and made it official.

I believe Sony is going through the same phase.

So, any bets on vulkan being the api of choice for ps5? Guerrilla used pc to update their engine to ps5 spec and side effect is death stranding and horizon zero dawn coming to pc?

I'm tempted by the pc version. Though maybe it would be better to wait if there is remaster/optimized version coming for ps5. One of the very few games I wouldn't mind playing again.

It is. Sony owns the IP. Just like Demon's Souls.
I mean bloodborne is not from sony's first party studios. It wasn't made by sony. (unless they buy the studio) it's like any other exclusivity deals where sony controls the IP but not the creative team.

The point of releasing HZD on PC is to give a taste of what sony can make. That's the big deal.

If this experiment doesn't help bring more PC gamers on PS5, it will remain a one time experiment. If it does help grow the PS5 user base, they might do more.

Last edited:
I mean it's not from sony's first party studios. It wasn't made by sony. (unless they buy the studio) it's like any other exclusivity deals where sony controls the IP but not the creative team.

The point of releasing HZD on PC is to give a taste of what sony can make. That's the big deal.

If this experiment doesn't help bring more PC gamers on PS5, it will remain a one time experiment. If it does help grow the PS5 user base, they might do more.

Sony has owned guerrilla studios since December 2005? Or has something changed?

This isn't what they are saying though.

doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC.

They aren't denying anything either.

we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

HZD is also developed with dedicated hardware in mind, a port to pc doesn't change that. HZD2 will be developed for the PS5 dedicated hardware, but a port isn't out of the question. They are basically saying they won't compromise developing for a wide range of hardware.

A port isn't going to damage the games in any way, i don't get why some are having deep feelings when an exclusive gets to see the light on another platform. See some of the comments on facebook, some even say they hate playstation and will never buy their products again.

No this isn't just that, this is a complete shift in focus, I fully expect Sony to release most if not every exclusive on PC at some point in time. They are gradually building up to that.

People can take their notes as they want to, you can take it however it fits narrative. One could also see it this way, they are going to experiment with the idea how this will extra sales for their AAA games. Since the game is over 2 years old, there isn't much steam left in PS4 sales. Releases on PC could see some more sales, a port isn't going to be that costly since it's all pc hardware basically, and with Steam/EGS, Sony might want to have their own store sometime.

Probably yes for the PS5, if not HZD does very well on PC, and users ain't shifting just because of this (i don't think they will, PC gamers are a whole different group, sony might get this now).

Maybe, but times are changing, this isn't the 2000s anymore.

Moore's law is dying, making chips and contracting them is expensive, building the console requires hard work. Also making quality exclusive games is expensive.

Sony realized that their limit is 120 million install base max, and with heavy discounts too, even when they are the dominant player, this is simply not enough to maintain a viable business long term. If competition is strong their install base will be even lower than that.

Solution is to expand the market and the target audience, by opening up their exclusives to more players, recouping some of the costs of making these games, just like Microsoft did.

Sony is going to gradually transition to this business model, just like Microsoft did as well, Microsoft didn't come out of the blue to announce their first party titles coming to PC, they took their time, experiminted with it first at the beginning of the generation, released a few titles on PC here and there, then fully embraced the concept mid gen, and made it official.

I believe Sony is going through the same phase.

This. Aslong as they develop the next HZD for the PS5, and then port, there is zero compromise to the graphics engine/game etc.

Also, this was only the Dutch studio talking, it's not that Sony said it.

I'm tempted by the pc version. Though maybe it would be better to wait if there is remaster/optimized version coming for ps5. One of the very few games I wouldn't mind playing again.

HZD1 on a 3080Ti/Zen3 system and modders could do some crazy things. Maybe the devs experiment with some ray tracing solutions? Maybe makes it to the PS5 version also.

It's not from sony's first party studios. It wasn't made by sony. (unless they buy the studio)

And yet here we are, this was never going to happen according to some a few years back. Also, i'm sure many if not most pc gamers are aware of what the big sony aaa games are like.

It will be the other way around i'm afraid for you, if HZD is a success on PC, and users ain't switching over, Sony will just do this again, they want to make more money.
See it as the PS4 Pro, which was supposed to make pc gamers switch over to PS, they didn't, and now they try with this. Sony wants to reach that pc market one way or another.

Sony has owned guerrilla studios since December 2005? Or has something changed?

It is a Sony owned first party studio yes.

I think it is, what Hulst suggests it is; an experiment. There is no evidence that every major exclusive is coming to PC. Who the heck is doing all this porting? Uncharted, The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank, Bloodborne, God of War, Spider-Man, inFamous, Days Gone, Gran Turismo, Ghost of Tsushima?

Knack? :runaway:

Back