Some (new) T.Sweeney thoughts on CELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago I asked on the 3D tech forum on any questions for Tim Sweeney. Many members were kind enough to contribute, Marco (MfA) especially for his cell question. Here's the response:

In the past you have suggested rendering would move back to general purpose processors, but on the other hand you have admitted reservations to massively parallel processors like ‘Cell’, how do you unite these views?

[Laughter] “Well that’s a big question there. CPUs are becoming parallel. With Intel you have this hyper-threading technology which means you can execute two threads at once almost for free. And Intel and AMD are talking about having multiple cores on their chips. So you’ll get to see a CPU in a few years from now that can have 16 cores. This is not that much different from a GPU with 16 pixel pipelines if you think about it. The big difference between CPU and GPU technology is that on the graphics side you can do everything in parallel without dependencies on other stuff. So for rendering, the GPU is going to have a serious advantage over a CPU, maybe a factor of five to ten. Once you get down to every pixel shader computation in full floating point, at some point computation comes back and dominates again. So CPUS are going to become more efficient relative to GPUs in the future.
I can see a point in, seven to ten years out where a lot of computers don’t ship with any graphics accelerator at all because the CPUs are fast enough to do that. I can still see the really high end machines come out with graphics acceleration.â€

Speaking of CPUs, what are your thoughts on the Sony CELL processor? How easy will it be to program and how well will it run shaders?

"Well I don’t have any inside information on that— all I’ve seen is their patent filing which describes a system with 16 or more independent CPUswith their relatively small memory. I think it’s a very strange architecture. From my experience with the other consoles it’s really critical that every processor has some kind of uniform memory access so you are not having to dispatch DMA package everywhere in the system to feed data into little fixed sized memory spots. Otherwise programming just becomes a nightmare. I think for the cell processor to work you really need an architecture that’s a little bit closer to a traditional computer than this. The idea of 16 processors is very reasonable and is something you are going to eventually see from Intel and AMD maybe in seven years or so. As Moore’s law goes up you can fit more CPUs on a single die but you can’t do that and sacrifice general computing ability—you got to have a shared memory bus; something like the XBOX has with unified memory where both the graphics and CPU are accessing the same memory even though they have their local caches. I can see that [CELL] working but I think it’s going to be very careful and something that requires an enormous amount of R&D to get right. I’d hate to see version one of it come out and not be a general purpose computing architecture. It’ll be a nightmare to develop for a system where each processor has a megabyte or whatever and there’s no easy way send data back and forth between processor other than buddling up into DMA. I think it would be so difficult that you wouldn’t have any portability between that kind of a system and a PC or other traditional platforms."

with all due respect, sweeny is not know for his ability to move quickly to new architectures. IIRC, it took his engine quite some time to depart from glide and move to the d3d. in this aspect, his comments in the sense of 'this new platform should be a nihgtmare to code for' are anything but unexpected.

Since Lorne Lanning got mentioned, how about a Jason Rubin; "It's only hard if you suck" :)

Re: ....

Deadmeat said:
I am sure 99% of developers out there share Tim Sweeny's sentiment...

Any next gen console will be "hard to program for", since the amount of resources needed to maximise their potential will be very high, especially from a content point of view.

And OF COURSE the fact that PS3 will have a completely new architecture won't help it in the short term. But that didn't stop Saturn, N64 and PS2 to be very successful platforms capable of very nice things given the time...

Any next gen console will be "hard to program for"
Not Xbox Next, just PSX3 alone.(I am expecting N5 to not come out). Yes, developers will have to adjust to setting up multiple threads, but everything else remains the same(Same API).

But that didn't stop Saturn, N64 and PS2 to be very successful platforms capable of very nice things given the time...
Saturn and N64 weren't successful. PSX2 would have shared the same fate if it weren't for SCEI's world-class marketing department....

The success of PSX2 has everything to do with SCEI's marketing strategy and nothing to do with its architecture, which stands as the textbook example of "How not to design a hardware"...

"It[Playstation 2] was one of the craziest architectures in computer science history" - Okamoto Shinji.

So the PS3 isn't a difficult architecture because Tim Sweeny isn't Jason Rubin? Surely we can concede the machine is far from traditional. It will clearly take some serious effort on the part of Sony and/or developers, effort beyond next gen systems from MS or Nintendo.

Which is why it was meant as a joke. Rubin just said something along those lines when Lanning and Oddworld Inhabitants changed platforms from PS2 to Xbox because they thought it was too hard to program for.

Thanks for that, DM, we needed that... :rolleyes:

Saturn WA successful in Japan, and N64 was pretty successful if you ask me. Of course PS2 (like PS1 before it) were vastly more successful than the competition because of the amazing marketing department of Sony, but that's just part of it. And it wasn't really the point of the thread.

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
" I think it would be so difficult that you wouldn’t have any portability between that kind of a system and a PC or other traditional platforms."

croos platform dev (and thus ps3->xbox2 ports) will the first victim of CELL ??

wazoo said:
JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
" I think it would be so difficult that you wouldn’t have any portability between that kind of a system and a PC or other traditional platforms."

croos platform dev (and thus ps3->xbox2 ports) will the first victim of CELL ??

We'll have to see if multi-platform games development will be the first victim of Cell or Xbox2/N5... ;)

EA will always go for the biggest seller, and i'm not sure things will be as radical as Timmy here wants us to think. I'm sure multiplatform games will never die. They didn't die this generation, they won't die in the next..

Sony needs to learn, you can have the best CPU in the world, if you ignore the graphics features, it doesnt help, case in point, PS2.

LisaJoy said:
Sony needs to learn, you can have the best CPU in the world, if you ignore the graphics features, it doesnt help, case in point, PS2.

You're quoting their number one selling console platform of it's generation (by a considerable margin) as a reason Sony have to learn something?

I think it's evident that their strategy is working, no matter what a few people think development is like. Far from being stupid, they're developing hardware they control from an IP point of view, that they'll be able to build very cheaply at some stage down the line - meaning ultimately less cost and more profits. The fact that the developers will have a hard-time is a minimal concern, and one which is likely to only be addressed in software (didn't happen for PS2 really, might happen next time - only Sony know that at this stage...). They won't be making sweeping changes to the hardware for the sake of a few moaning developers, and certainly not where those changes are compromises pushing them in the same direction as their main competition.

They have enough momentum to make their next platform successful, even if it was total rubbish - which means that developers WILL develop for it whether they like it or not. If I turned up at work and said "I don't want to develop for this platform, I think I'm going to write my code for something else instead.." - I'd get fired.

And in reality, it's unlikely to be total rubbish, it's likely to be at least competitive.

darkblu

with all due respect, sweeny is not know for his ability to move quickly to new architectures.

Absolutely, he's always had a problem with new/alternative architectures.

Deadmeat

Not Xbox Next, just PSX3 alone.(I am expecting N5 to not come out).

Yeah and I am expecting a group of monkeys to build a ship out of a dust bin and fly to the moon in it....

P.S. Saturn wasn't successful, N64 was.

You're quoting their number one selling console platform of it's generation (by a considerable margin) as a reason Sony have to learn something? ...

...They have enough momentum to make their next platform successful, even if it was total rubbish - which means that developers WILL develop for it whether they like it or not. If I turned up at work and said "I don't want to develop for this platform, I think I'm going to write my code for something else instead.." - I'd get fired.

How dare you inject sensible reason into this discussion! Who the hell do you think you are! ;)

P.S. Saturn wasn't a success, N64 was.

You know, we're gonna have to come up with a definition of success around here... I mean according to your logic, if the Saturn wasn't a success, the of course neither is Xbox or the GCN...

[off-topic]
Saturn was SEGA's only very sucessful system in JAPAN. the Saturn was a so called "failure" overall because it didn't sell enough in the U.S., which is a larger market, and europe as well. europe had been a traditional stronghold of Sega for the previous two generations (SMS, Megadrive). so with the loss of europe *and* the U.S., Sega doing well in Japan was not enough for Saturn.

N64 bombed in Japan but was a relative sucess in the U.S.

[back on topic]
Tim's comments on Cell should not be taken too seriously IMHO. he is not a major player in the console industry. only the PC industry. I will await comments from Capcom, Namco, Sega, EA, Konami, Square-Enix, etc. they are the players that matter.

Master System didn't do that well against NES in Europe AFAIK, in Scandinavia it was far outclassed by Nintendo. The early head-start of Sega's in the 16-bit gen however made the Megadrive fairly popular even after SNES came out, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo won by a major margin that time 'round too. Again, at least in Scandinavia (which, as we all know, is THE major market in Europe... LOL). Saturn was a major c*ck-up, it was too expensive and basically got smacked like the proverbial red-headed stepchild once PS came out.

As for Sweeney's opinions, he's got 'em, but who the heck knows if they're worth a damn. Remind me again of the latest console title he developed? ;)

Some say people shouldn't speak out on subjects they have no experience in, Tim's obviously not a follower of that school of thought. It's not as if he's never been wrong before or anything... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back