Some more shots on Silent Hill 3 (from a post in GameFAQs)

maskrider

Henshin !
Veteran
The message source is here

The images are from the Europe Playstation.com, can't wait ! I have already asked my friend in UK to buy and send me one on 23/May.

Now, the images

silent_hill3_42_big.jpg

silent_hill3_44_big.jpg

silent_hill3_52_big.jpg

silent_hill3_55_big.jpg

silent_hill3_53_big.jpg

silent_hill3_47_big.jpg

silent_hill3_48_big.jpg

silent_hill3_50_big.jpg

silent_hill3_46_big.jpg

silent_hill3_45_big.jpg

silent_hill3_43_big.jpg

She has to be the most believable realtime model of a human that I've ever seen. Well, either she or that old guy from the game.

Sony did deliver what they were promising... Silent Hill 3, Z.O.E. 2, Primal, The Getaway, Silent Hill 2, GT3, MGS2 ( and we have yet to see the next Metal Gear on PlayStation 2 ), FFX ( which was very nice looking )...

You cannot criticize their line-up... you just cannot ;)

cripes.

that girl looks like she is severely depressed. like she's gonna commit suicide or something.

hats off to the SH3 team, they are pushing PS2 further than I ever thought possible.

Just wait, soon the nay-sayers are going to be flocking to this thread. "This isn't impressive", "I've seen better", "the textures are blurry", "there aren't any jaggies", blah blah blah.

Hehe. For ONCE, we Euros get a game before the rest of the world. :D

*G*

Grall said:
Just wait, soon the nay-sayers are going to be flocking to this thread. "This isn't impressive", "I've seen better", "the textures are blurry", "there aren't any jaggies", blah blah blah.

Actually, there will again be a schism between the two trollian ideologies: One camp will be composed of the "There's no way PS2 can do that, that one shot has obviously been rendering for 2 weeks on a 512 CPU renderfarm." And the other will diverge and boldly state: "That looks exactly like SH2, what's the big deal? XBox could do that AND bake me blueberry muffins". And then there's the subset of this camp where people manipulate the latter ideology using the formula: NICON=NWORDS * LOG(NWORDS).

But I digress....

It's pushing the PS2 pretty hard and the characters are nothing short of amazing but I bet that the framerate is low in gameplay. You can't deny that there's always a somewhat blurry background too, even in the non-DOF shots.

"Make the characters look as real as hell.. everything else be damned!"

Tahir said:
Yea but you got to admit in the 2nd and 3rd shot it looks like she got a hairy face!
;)

I believe they're called "freckles", man... Hairy indeed!

Vince:
I love blueberry muffins, if the XB could make me some while playing SH3, I'd bloody well consider buying one, especially with this latest price drop... :LOL: Never mind I'd need a friggin aircraft hangar to store the thing in, but now *I* digress. :D

*G*

I had a friend wit freckles.. she was so cute but had a hairy face too.
Tis true... you read it on the internet.

Is it possible their using bezier curves in this game, it does look fantastic. It just proves that if you don't put limits on yourself, you can achieve what others may think is the impossible.

Ah, yes. Did not developers say early on that PS2 was a "deep" architecture and that we would see dramatic improvements with each generation of software?

After years of debate, it's good to see PS2 finally achieving its true potential.

Kolgar

I can't believe this is all realtime on a PS2.
I can because most of the resources are being poured into the character models. Similar things can be achieved on all of the systems if one were to do that (obviously with greater quality on the systems with more power). The RE remake on the Cube could have really high detail characters because most of the resources were being put into them and the high detail backrounds did not have to be rendered.

However, it seems like most developers aren't funneling most of their resources and the system's resources into placing emphasis on just the character models.
I think this is what Sony meant by "Emotion Synthesis".
The funny PR names describing a processor that can be programmed to manipulate vertices.... just kind of unfortunate that it's just now being put to somewhat good use and in quite a limited way. I'm far from impressed, although I can say the character models are nice. I really want to play SH3 though since I thoroughly enjoyed SH2 ;)

but I bet that the framerate is low in gameplay.
Locked 30 FPS, just like SH2. Not bad for a slow moving action/adventure game, IMO.

I can because most of the resources are being poured into the character models.
No... not really. You really should see it running. The lighting, shadowing, fog that also gets lit, really detailed surroundings... it's very impressive. Character models are just one part of it.

silenthill3_screen003.jpg

sh3_screen005.jpg

silenthill3_screen012.jpg

Can I say it? Can I PLEAAASSSSEEEE say it??!?!?

Four words (well, 3 sort of i guess)

ShenMue Head Demo

Bwahahah!

Nah, its great to see Konami's hard work pay off, they're extremely talented. I can't say I wouldn't wish that a similar group of talented folk take a stab at investing 3 years into Xbox tech :p It'd be interesting to see what they come up with..

Either way, this game is SO MINE. Screw this Resident Evil movie crap, Silent Hill totally deserves its own feature film - I think The Ring has proven that creepy movies can bring in the bucks.

I still stand by what I say marconelly. I've seen videos and plenty of pictures.

Even if I don't think it's impressive at all that doesn't change the fact that I think it's an awesome game.

Impressive (see, even a Xbox owner can praise a good PS2 game). I held back on eventually getting SH2 for Xbox when I heard that Doom III was going to be developed for the Xbox, but SH3 kinda puts Doom III to shame.

Back