Some Details on SiS Xabre II (xbitlabs)

jpeter

Newcomer
Some Details on SiS Xabre II

Posted 11/22/02 at 12:43 pm by Anton

At Comdex Fall, Las Vegas, SiS officials some unveiled a number of technical details about the next-generation graphics processors from SiS that will be called the Xabre II. The newcomer seems to be a lot more powerful compared to its predecessor and will be able to compete with midrange solutions from ATI Technologies and NVIDIA in the first half of next year, according to SiS. Therefore, the Hsinchu-based integrated circuit developer will continue to fortify its positions on the graphics market in 2003.

SiS confirmed that the Xabre II VPU is to support the DirectX 9.0 features. Unfortunately, they decided not to go in-depth and to provide more concrete information on the features and capabilities of the product. They admitted that Vertex Shaders 2.0 and Pixel Shaders 2.0 are supported, though, declined to point out if vertex shaders are supported by hardware, or, just like with Xabre GPUs, are simulated by central processing unit. SiS Xabre II VPU features 8 rendering pipelines with one TMU per each, just like the RADEON 9700 and the GeForce FX, the features SiS calls “Octapipeâ€￾.

The unit is due to come in the first half of next year and some sources even allude that the part will be unveiled in February, but I should make it clear that at the moment there is no official information about this matter. SiS said that they will manufacture the Xabre II using advanced 0.13 micron fabrication process. Given that other companies usually have a number of difficulties with this technology, SiS may also postpone its part a bit.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1037987037

SiS said that they will manufacture the Xabre II using advanced 0.13 micron fabrication process. Given that other companies usually have a number of difficulties with this technology, SiS may also postpone its part a bit.

I was under the impression that the Xabre 600 was already on .13 so I don't see them having any difficulties with the Xabre II.

Variety is the spice of life

True but if they get the drivers sorted out it could mean that ATi & Nv will have to look at their own price/performance figures in the low to mid range.
When I read a review of the 400 several months ago I seem to remember that the drivers were the most negative thing mentioned; closely followed by Blurryvision (tm). :D

jpeter said:
Some Details on SiS Xabre II

Posted 11/22/02 at 12:43 pm by Anton

SiS said that they will manufacture the Xabre II using advanced 0.13 micron fabrication process. Given that other companies usually have a number of difficulties with this technology, SiS may also postpone its part a bit.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1037987037

Doesn't SiS have their own fab? I think xbit has been doing some really shoddy reporting lately. check out their news page for the nvidia CK8 chipset where they speculate that it might not have an integrated LAN dsp because of the stand alone LAN chip on the motherboard :rolleyes:

The problem with the Xabre is the extreme shortcuts it takes to achieve those numbers. :-? I don't even think other cards can be set to be as ugly as some of the Xabre's shortcuts, but I've never really tried to find out so I may be wrong.

Sort of makes the comparison a bit unfair.

I still have hope for the Trident chip, though I'm disappointed by the delay. And the Xabre II does sound interesting, and if delivered on time might be a very good budget DX 9 option.

demalion said:
I still have hope for the Trident chip, though I'm disappointed by the delay.

What the hell happened to it? Wasn't there talk of the new Trident chip before the R9700 even came out???? :-?

Don't worry. All those Xabre users Xccelerating their "The Sims Online" will never notice the blatant image quality problems.

Here we go again. I'm sure you could do the same thing with several other video cards and several other apps, and you'd achieve see a similar performance drop.

They removed every remarks of "3DMark2001" from 3dMark2001se.exe and replaced them with "1DMark1913". Now Xabres drivers won't recognize the 3DMark and the scores drop 20-25%.

Tagrineth,

Try true trilinear paired with supersampling on a Xabre and the surprise might even be bigger ;)

KnightBreed said:
Here we go again. I'm sure you could do the same thing with several other video cards and several other apps, and you'd achieve see a similar performance drop.

"Note that the tests in the 1DMark1913 were also carried out with the NVIDIA and ATI based cards, but there were no noticeable changes." ;)

I wonder if anyones tested the Quackifier on Xabre Q3 scores?

Seems like SiS is willing to do anything to increase their benchmark scores, from doing "linear" filtering that's not even true bilinear, to outright cheating on 3dmark. People should start posting screenshots taken on Xabre and on GeForce/Radeon for comparison.

Somebody did a while back I recall, and the background texture/quality of the lighting and windows in the Lobby scene were noticably worse.

Back