Software Audio Processing?

1magus

Newcomer
So I decided to remove my X-Fi Titanium sound card from my computer cause it has been completely bugged since I got it, I mean in Bioshock 2 so many sounds cut out it's almost sad (I had it plugged into a PCIE 1x slot does this matter? I mean if it was plugged into a full 16x slot would that fix all my problems?). Anyway my current onboard audio supports only 32 channels and is limited to EAX 2.0 and I was wondering are there software drivers or some program that allows software emulation so I can get around 96 channels and EAX 4.0+? I know of OpenAL but this causes problems with Bioshock 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

what o/s ?
if its not xp do you have alchemy set up properly
you mention openal and sound like you dont have it, but alchemy needs openal to work
are you in game mode ?

doesnt bioshock 2 use fmod ? not eax
I cant find a enable eax box in bioshock 2 only bioshock

ps: software hrtf (head-related transfer function - aka 3d audio)
http://www.blueripplesound.com/products/rapture-3d-user
ps: it hits the cpu quite hard

ps: just tried bioshock 2 on my xfi and its fine

PCIe 1x is just fine, it's far overkill for the needs of a simple soundcard. Even regular PCI is capable of far more than what sound requires.

Also, 32 voices is just fine as well. I doubt you're ever going to have 32 sounds playing simultaneously anyway in any game, and should you ever hit that limit there's seriously no genuine risk of you noticing it - it'll be an utter cacaphony; any extra sounds would just get drowned.

Also, nothing uses EAX these days and Creative isn't even pushing the damn thing anymore and hasn't done so for years. They doomed it and themselves by keeping EAX versions beyond 2 proprietary, they figured they could corner the sound card market for themselves that way, but as you've noticed nobody really gives a crap about EAX because mobo sound is simply good enough, and thus their attempt bellyflopped. Creative mostly does headphones and speakers and such these days.

So in other words, feel free to switch to your integrated sound solution, it's good enough. :) Bonus: you also don't have to deal with Creative's buggy hardware and bad drivers anymore...

what o/s ?
if its not xp do you have alchemy set up properly
you mention openal and sound like you dont have it, but alchemy needs openal to work
are you in game mode ?

doesnt bioshock 2 use fmod ? not eax
I cant find a enable eax box in bioshock 2 only bioshock

ps: software hrtf (head-related transfer function - aka 3d audio)
http://www.blueripplesound.com/products/rapture-3d-user
ps: it hits the cpu quite hard

ps: just tried bioshock 2 on my xfi and its fine
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
Bioshock 2 does not play well with ALchemy apparently but I do have it installed just not enabled in game.

because mobo sound is simply good enough,

You know i disagree with that ;)
eax rocks when done well...

ps: bioshock 2 works fine on my x-fi (pci)
just looked on the fmod forum and pepole with onboard sound have problems with bioshock 2

You know i disagree with that ;)
eax rocks when done well...

ps: bioshock 2 works fine on my x-fi (pci)
just looked on the fmod forum and pepole with onboard sound have problems with bioshock 2

Well it is not done right in Bioshock 2 and when I used mobo sound it seemed to work right so explain that? Also what card do u have?

Ok I reinstalled the card and the latest drivers now what settings should I have for Bioshock 2? Before in the file "BioshockSP" I had audio channels set to 128 before should it be less?

I also had UseEAX=True
Use3DSound=True

Any suggestions are you're settings any different from mine? Also are you using ALchemy and how do I install it in the Bioshock 2 folder?

that is in users/username/appdata/roaming/bioshock2sp.ini

they should be false (shouldnt matter though as its just a leftover from unreal engine 3)

the important bit is :

[FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem]
MaxChannels=128
MaxStreams=8
StreamBufferSize=64

try playing around with those values

ps: install OpenAL Installer for Windows
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

pps: you are in game mode ?
ppps: how many speaker are you using
are they setup correctly in control panel

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

also in the xfi console speakers setup correctly, is eax enabled and cmss-3d

that is in users/username/appdata/roaming/bioshock2sp.ini

they should be false (shouldnt matter though as its just a leftover from unreal engine 3)

the important bit is :

[FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem]
MaxChannels=128
MaxStreams=8
StreamBufferSize=64

try playing around with those values

ps: install OpenAL Installer for Windows
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

pps: you are in game mode ?
ppps: how many speaker are you using
are they setup correctly in control panel

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

also in the xfi console speakers setup correctly, is eax enabled and cmss-3d

I decided to uninstall the audio card. Too many problems I have heard and 32 audio channels seems fine think this will be fine? I have 2 speakers for my TV.

Back