Socket 370 motherboards?

Sometime over the next couple days, I'll get to see if my Voodoo5 6000 works. If it does, It's going to be in a box with my BX Master motherboard.

This means I need another PC, because that BX with the 1.4 Ghz PIII/Celeron Tualatin was going to be my "son's" PC.

Now, the good news is I have basically ALL the components I need to put together such a PC. I have an extra case, power supply, PC100 SDRAM...a PIII 700 Mhz slot-1 CPU.....

The problem is the motherboard.

IDEALLY, What I'd like to do is slap my currently sitting on the shelf slot-1 PIII 700 Mhz CPU in the Voodoo6 box, and then just go and pick up a socket 370 motherboard that supports the 1.4 Ghz Celeron for my son's PC. I'd be all set.

But I'm finding out that actually FINDING such a motherboard (at least with an intel chipset, (i815 / i815E chipset?) is near impossible.

I guess I'm left with a few options:

1) Somewhere, find a motherboard with an i815/i815E chipset based motherboard, that supports 1.4 Ghz Tualatin.

2) Find a non-intel based socket 370 motherboard (VIA 694T?) that supports 1.4 ghz Tualatin.

3) Find a 440BX / Slot 1 motherboard, and use the slocket for the celeron.

4) Build a new "on the cheap" system based on socket 478 or Athlon/Duron.

I'm not too keen on going with a VIA baesd chipset for the socket 370....but I really have no idea how problematic they are (or not) in that generation. I just don't ever want to have to deal with "try the latest 4-in-1 drivers" thing...

I Really don't want to go with option 4. That means buying a new CPU, and new memory as well.

The main reason for preferring option 1 over option 2, is that socket 370 motherboards can be found with universal AGP connectors, and features like on-board audio. If I get another BX motherboard, I may need to add in a cheap audio-card, and may be limiting my video card upgrade options...

So, anyone know where, besides e-bay, I could buy "old technology" motherbaords?!

Supermicro P3TSSA is a good i815 b-step (Tualatin support) mobo. I had one. The problem (for some people) is no overclock support.

People sell it as small server mobo.

Sorry Joe,

If you asked me that same question 3 years ago I could probably have given you some good info, but now I am at a loss. =)

Dr. Ffreeze

Joe I have an ABIT SE6 sitting here with a celeron 533mhz (but it was the last 66mhzfsb model and runs at 100mhzfsb =800mhz) with 128mb of ram.

Thanks for your responses, guys.

I decided to just leave the BX Master motherboard in my son's machine...because the Voodoo doesn't appear compatible with that MoBo! I ended up buying yet another BX motherboard (Asus P3B-F) off of E-Bay, in hopes that my Voodoo will like it. I currently have the Voodoo in an old LX based motherboard, and I'm trying to see if I can get stable in 3D mode...but I don't want it to be stuck with a P II 266. :)

Back