SoC market snapshot

wco81

Legend
Article talks about smart phone supply chain but is mostly about APU vendors, specifically STM and TI which have both seen sales decline as Nokia sales dropped off. Similarly, Marvell is hurting because of the decline in Blackberry sales.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903374004576582690092381126.html?mod=djemTECH_h

What hurts STM and TI is that they can't sell to Apple or Samsung, two of the biggest smart phone vendors. So there may be some consolidation, unless these companies find other types of devices for their APUs.

Interestingly, they refer to a $300 billion market for semiconductors? Of which only 7% is from "chips for smart phones and tablets." This mobile slice is expected to represent 17.6% of revenues by 2015.

Elop's "Ratner moment" has created such a huge global shift in the IC industry..

The "power" that Nokia had is almost scary.

It's not like Samsung doesn't use third party SoC's. SO if somebody can't sell to Samsung, I'd say this is because of their own incompetence.

It's called the SoC market, though. The APU buzzword is old wine in a new bottle.

It's not like Samsung doesn't use third party SoC's. SO if somebody can't sell to Samsung, I'd say this is because of their own incompetence.

I don't think the volume for Samsung's third-party touting SoC's are really that high, is it? They've pretty much only gone to third-party when their own fabs can't supply enough chips due to the demand from Apple.

Although I suppose the mid-range and low-end lines all use third party SoC's and likely has huge volumes.

When it comes to channel sales the Tegra-based Galaxy Tab 10.1 and 8.9 are probably quite high volume. Sales through to actual consumers, who knows.

There are also some S2 versions with Qualcomm and Tegra out there, which are rather high end, even if the Exynos-based one has better specs still.

Ive seen some suggestions that Samsung will be building the new google phone with ICS, which is highly rumoured to be based on TI omap4.

"APU market snapshot"
Sorry, I saw that title and the first thing that popped into my head at 6 in the morning was:
200px-Kwik-e-mart.png

:???:
[UPDATE] I see someone has changed the title to "SoC market snapshot". That rather ruined my joke :( [/UPDATE]

It's called the SoC market, though. The APU buzzword is old wine in a new bottle.
And it certainly threw me.

Back