so will the good developers on PS3...

MBDF

Newcomer
...Be constantly steaming from the blu-ray to the hard drive, streaming from the hard drive to XDR, and streaming from the XDR on into the GDDR3?

Seems like it's the best case scenerio. But I guess it will differ with every game. I suppose some times you don't need to stream from XDR to GDDR.

Btw, does any one have any guesstimates on the transfer speed of a 7200 rpm hard drive?

MBDF said:
...Be constantly steaming from the blu-ray to the hard drive, streaming from the hard drive to XDR, and streaming from the XDR on into the GDDR3?

Seems like it's the best case scenerio. But I guess it will differ with every game. I suppose some times you don't need to stream from XDR to GDDR.

Btw, does any one have any guesstimates on the transfer speed of a 7200 rpm hard drive?

From what I've read, I think the good developers will be

- constantly streaming from blu-ray
- caching the smaller files on the HDD, as well as downloadable content

Of course, what happens will also depend on the type of game we are dealing with.

I have no idea of what the SATA 2.5" drive will manage in the PS3. Probably what it does in most laptops.

MBDF said:

Seems like it's the best case scenerio.
The fastest data throughput would come from installing files on HDD and then streaming different data from both HDD and BRD at the same time, assuming parallel data access is possible.

Back