So what's wrong with Console Wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard several times that Console Wars are mundane, childish, non-gamer like, beneath.......but why?

I mean, people argue/debate sport teams. Hell, there are still people debating the 80's Lakers vs. Celtics.

What about people that debate Windows vs Mac?
Android vs IOS?

Chevy vs Ford enthusiast have been going at it for decades, but does that make them any less of a car enthusiast? How about BMW vs Mercedes?

So why the double standard?
Why can't people have their console wars?

Because normal people can have discussions. While...
ngbbs44d912b55fa49.jpg

There is no double standard. This is a forum centered around gaming, so you don't have to worry about emotional and irrational versus arguments about Lebron James and Ford invading every thread.

Depends on the reaction things cause in you. If I see an important football match where my home team REALLY needs to win I get all nervous and don't want to watch the game because my heart rate goes crazy. And that's actually what happens to me. If I see Real Madrid or Liverpool playing and they need the win the same happens to me, it's just beyond me, I can't control it. But if the other team is Barcelona or say Chelsea, I don't react at all, and I can watch the match without tearing a single drop of sweat.

Because there are innumerable fora I could frequent if I wanted to participate in that type of "discussion" and it's nice to have one I can visit where that is discouraged so that a different level of discourse can take place.

Why can't people have their console wars?
Because it's incredibly pointless, and you won't get anywhere. Both sides are entirely immune to the others' arguments, regardless how good they are (and much of the time they're merely faulty ignorance and wishful thinking, or outright made-up lies), so you can't actually ever win. It'll just be an eternity of headbanging and a waste of forum resources, and an expanding pool of badwill that oozes out of the war thread and into all sorts of other places on the forum as well.

We've seen it happen many times in the past, like when good ole Chaphack was active on the board (and subsequently banned like five times.)

I've heard several times that Console Wars are mundane, childish, non-gamer like, beneath.......but why?...
So why the double standard? Why can't people have their console wars?
There's more than one aspect to rivalries. Friendly rivaleries add spice to life - sport would be pointless if you didn't care for a team to win. However, there are no friendly rivalries in the console wars, and in a forum where people are wanting to understand things, the misguided beliefs of fanatics are just a distracting noise. "I always preferred manly Xbox to girly PS2," would be acceptable banter, but, "Ha ha, MS is such a bunch of arrogant arses, so dizzy from 180s they've no idea what they're doing. No wonder Sony will be the only console player still going in the next two years," or somesuch isn't.

Basically, console warsery is derived from the same toxic psychology as fundamentalist idealism/patriotism/social grouping that sees an individual desperately cling to their beliefs because they'd feel lost without them. There's no upside to this. It's the sort of animalistic rivalry that leads to football hooligans - 39 fatalities at Heysel in 1985 for no sane reason.

Mature balance with a personal, secure preference that can enjoy diversity and different people and also make fun of it on occasion is far more preferable. It means we still have fun but we also have actual debate about alternatives, whether that remains just the entertainment of the discussion or, on rarer occasions, where one learns something new or to see something from a new perspective.

I've heard several times that Console Wars are mundane, childish, non-gamer like, beneath.......but why?

I mean, people argue/debate sport teams. Hell, there are still people debating the 80's Lakers vs. Celtics.
I must admit, people's seemingly passionate, and sometimes obsessive, tie to a piece of electronics baffles me. My girlfriend, who is a psychologist, has commented on this is abstract ways about some of her patients and this is a form of cognitive dissonance, particularly the overwhelming need to justify one's actions or decisions beyond what is reasonable curiosity, i.e. where someone actively begins to question others who make different decisions because they believe them to be flawed. Or worse, they feel the need to deconstruct their reasons and justify their own, or even attack others (trolls). This can lead to a lack of acceptance of people who make different decisions in all aspects of their life.

She ventures these types of conditions are often a result of the environment and those who lead a balanced life, such as a healthy social life and wider interests and responsibilities than their hobbies, are less likely to suffer this than those for whom their hobby is much of their life.

Having stated all fanboy warriors are nuts, I'm now backing out of this thread because no good can come of it :yep2:

You mean, the circular reasoning? "You spend a lot of time with your hobby, hence you must be socially maladjusted..." ;)

We should do a Myers-Briggs test on B3D. :LOL:

The latest fad in corporate America is Birkman Testing.

They claim the test cant be manipulated but I'm convinced my team of 4 could easily game it on just a second test run to result in any outcome we wanted. The internal Education department underestimates the pattern finding and problem solving skills of the development department. Nearly all tests are like this.

The meyers briggs or carl jung test only works if people are honest. The test is easily manipulated, but why would anyone do that?

You can easily game the rorschach test to convince the judge you're a sexual predator, just say "boobs" on every slide.

No, that's a different sort of nuts :yep2:

I think the internet as a whole suffers the Dunning–Kruger effect.
I can fake that I knew all along what the dunning-kruger effect was, since I looked it up on the internet. I'm so smart!!!

Well, I did have one class of psychology, but I don't remember much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back