So whats the buzz on CELL workstations?

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
I'm guessing some of the industry insiders that post here have heard something about the workstations by now, even if its secondhand. So is the "buzz" positive?

Heard something? ummm I wouldn't be suprised if nobody around here has heard anything yet.

Besides who wants Vince jumping down their throat saying how they are "wrong"? ;)

Heh, so I take it you and Vince are close friends ? you seem to have a real rapore with each other... Its nice to know that these new forms of digital communication can spring such well founded, meaningful relationships. You and he are kindred spirits.... at unison in the B3D community ! ;-) :devilish:

How does it look like this thread is turning into a hate thread before it even got a chance to start properly.
Qroach, you are starting to build up your defences a little too early.

rabidrabbit said:
How does it look like this thread is turning into a hate thread before it even got a chance to start properly.
Qroach, you are starting to build up your defences a little too early.
He's not totally wrong.

rabidrabbit said:

This is the console forum afterall.

Cheers
Gubbi

I wasn't hoping for detailed info, just a general idea (one or two words) of the intial impressions going around developers. This is about the CELL workstation, not the PS3.

How proliferated are the CELL workstations? Still very rare?

From what I've heard there aren't any cell workstations in developers hands yet.

If you think I'm getting my defenses up already, it won't be long until some feet try to mash their way down my throat after saying what i did above. ;)

Brimstone said:
I wasn't hoping for detailed info, just a general idea (one or two words) of the intial impressions going around developers. This is about the CELL workstation, not the PS3.

How proliferated are the CELL workstations? Still very rare?

Very rare would be a massive over estimation...

Brimstone said:
So if the PS3 is going to have a strong JVM-like ability in CELL, does this mean we won't be seeing a p2p game network like X-Box LIVE?

One has nothing to do with the other. These two things you talk about are orthagonal.

aaaaa00 said:
Brimstone said:
So if the PS3 is going to have a strong JVM-like ability in CELL, does this mean we won't be seeing a p2p game network like X-Box LIVE?

One has nothing to do with the other. These two things you talk about are orthagonal.

I'm guessing the JVM style approach in the actual silicon is going to be very secure. Companies like EA perfer to run their own central servers. In the future with the PS3 when you connect to an EA server, it doesn't mean some type of p2p gameplay network won't exist controlled/managed by EA.

If someone is hacking/causing mischief on EA's server, the unique CELL ID, would allow them to share that ID number with Sony and other game publisher to create a CELL "blacklist".

Brimstone said:
aaaaa00 said:
Brimstone said:

I'm guessing the JVM style approach in the actual silicon is going to be very secure. Companies like EA perfer to run their own central servers. In the future with the PS3 when you connect to an EA server, it doesn't mean some type of p2p gameplay network won't exist controlled/managed by EA.

The layout of your network topology is orthogonal to the choice of a JVM style environment.

Why does having a JVM have anything to do with whether or not Sony will allow EA to run their own servers?

When you sign into an EA game on Live today, after the initial authentication into Live, you're transferred to EA's servers anyway.

So I don't understand what you're saying.

Besides, "hardware sandboxing" in that article is pretty much called an "MMU" on every other architecture in the universe. ;)

Here's a hint: what do you think a "process" is in Unix or Windows?

"CELL: Everything old is new again."

If someone is hacking/causing mischief on EA's server, the unique CELL ID, would allow them to share that ID number with Sony and other game publisher to create a CELL "blacklist".

I don't understand how this relates to JVMs, or network topology. All this requires is that EAs servers can exchange information with Sony's servers. It doesn't require a JVM. Live does this today.

Having a CELL unique ID is no different than embedding a processor serial number into every console. You don't need any particular network topology or JVM to implement this.

Brimstone said:
aaaaa00 said:
Brimstone said:

Xbox Live isn't p2p btw. Or at least nothing I've seen on it is anyway (I suppose there could be some games that use p2p, it just wouldn't make sense)...

Why networking talks in the workstation topic?
That article in The Register basically reiterates the content of the patent which was first published in 2002 so nothing new in there and even getting old by now...

A few days ago I posted the fairly recent SCEI patent apps for the network topology, like sub-grids each hosting virtual gaming servers on collective peers, enjoy! ;)

Oh yeah, my question. o_O

Are Cell workstations different from PS3 development kits at this point? If so, how common are Cell based PS3 dev kits?

I haven't heard a peep about Cell workstations actually being in the hands of any developers. then again i dont have ties to any developers or anyone in any industry that might have access to one. my bet is, by spring (March-June) we'll hear of developers having early Cell-based workstations.

Back