So The X800 Pro vivo is the hot card now?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Moloch, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

I'm looking for a new videocard, and I've noticed talk about the x800 pro vivos being able to unlock to full 16pipelines, and they have ram that will hit XT-PE speeds, so is this a good card to snatch when I got the cash?
    How much are they going for in the states anyway?
    I noticed on newegg, the x800 pros are still like 400 bucks, so is the vivo going to be close in price to the xt?
    I suppose having vivo helps that a bit, even though I will never use the videoin?

2. mustrum

Regular

I own one of those VIVOs and it's modded allready. Mine wont run at XT PE speeds (It does in Doom3 but not in Joint Ops) but 500/520 is stable with some headroom for now. It will run at full 520/560 as soon i get my VGA silencer 4. I'll give it a slight vmod if needed.
    It's definatly a strong competitor to nvidias 6800GT since it's the same price and can be modded into XT PE. And i haven't heard of a VIVO not being able to reach XT PE speeds after a volt mod. Some don't even need a vmod.

I know most GT's can reach Ultra speeds but you can' vmod a GT with a pencil i think? Therefore the VIVO has more OCing potential.

Only OCers are buying the VIVO anyways since no typical user would dare to flash a brand new cards bios and void it's warranty. :twisted:

I reach 12132 3dmarks in 3dmark 03 and i am quite sure that i wouldn't get more with a GT@Ultra on my Athlon XP. (And i'm not done with OCing this baby yet.)

3. Sandwich

Regular

The speed difference between an overclocked GT and a vivo mod is still debatable.

Modding vivos is just for a fraction of a fraction of the consumers. The GT is 70 euros cheaper too.
    I think the GT is still the hotter deal.

4. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

I was about to suggest the GT as THE hot card, but then I noticed your name :)

5. mustrum

Regular

My PRO VIVO was 429€ shipped. The cheapes (non available) GT is 435€ shipped. The GT is the same price but not available.
    Show us a GT for 350€ shipped and i am sure tons of people will be happy.

6. Sandwich

Regular

370. but they're all sold out now. :(

7. euan

Newcomer

I've got the X800 VIVO (unlocked, and clocked up on special occasions)

I would have bought a GT if any had VIVO... Just impatience and luck of the draw...

8. MasterBaiter

Regular

I bought a Gigabyte VIVO card and it came with 16 pipes enabled. It also likes to run @ 800 XT speeds with not problems. :p

These cards still are not cheap though.... I think they typically are going for around $450 and up right now. :(

9. Moloch

Veteran

:lol:
    ya I've grown atached to ati since I've had my 8500.
    I admit ati's doom 3 performance is lacking, but that's not an issue for me, untill I get a monitor that can do 1600x1200, I play a wide assortmant of games, and it seems ati atleast wins most of the benchmarks.
    I do own an nforce2 chipped mobo, but aslong as ati offers products that are atleast a little bit better, I'll continue with ati.
    I knew someone was going to suggest the GT...

10. jvd

jvd
    Banned

IF u like ati and wish to stay with them then a vivo is a good choice. They are having about a 99% succes rate of unlocking all the pipes . so 16 pipes at 500-550 (what most are getting ) is a pretty good deal at 400$ . Gets you gt like performance in doom3 and better than ultra performance in everything else

11. Moloch

Veteran

You're the person I saw talking about the vivo actually.
    Thanks

12. jvd

jvd
    Banned

np prob its a good card

13. logen999

Newcomer

if you are a die hard ATI fan, then the vmod vivo pro is a nice deal.

otherwise, its a GT all the way :drool:

14. jvd

jvd
    Banned

I have a question. Why is it only if your an ati fan ?

THe x800xt pe is faster than the 6800ultra in most tests .

The 6800gt clocked even to ultra extreme lvls would loose to the x800xt pe in almost all but doom3 .

So i really don't think its as easy as the gt all the way. Mabye against a stock pro.

15. Moloch

Veteran

That's exactly what I think.
    I think NV almost wasted their time with the GT and ultra extreme versions, if it wasn't for doom 3.
    Still slower than ati.
    So I understand the issue with doom 3, is that it breaks hyper z, so is ati going to be able to somewhat fix that, so they can be within 10fps?
    Oh and wonder if their R420 refresh will fix that on the hardware level?

16. jvd

jvd
    Banned

No i don't think the gt was a waste. I think it was a very very good card.

I think the x800pro was a waste. The x800pro vivo is not .

Ati screwed the pooch. THey should have made hte x800pro 16x 475 . Would have beaten the gt easily . Then make the x800se with 12 pipes at 450-475 mhz and they would have been set.

But hind sight is 20/20

If there were no vivios i would say gt all the way

17. Blacklash

Newcomer

I was going to do this myself, but they are catching on and jacking the prices of vivo Pros now.

18. logen999

Newcomer

yea you're right. but the GT is a still a bit cheaper, i guess its a good card against a stock 800pro.

although there is still the issue of PS3.0 implementation if future games.

Personally, I cant afford any of the new cards. But if I could, I’d go with the XTPE :drool:

19. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Far Cry's PS2.0b path greatly diminished PS3.0's cachet, IMO. I may yet be wowed, but for now I don't see NV40's SM3.0 as much to hold over R420's SM2.0b. Call me cynical when it comes to nV's first-gen features (media processor included, now).

20. Moloch

Veteran

Which AIB makes the best card for overclocking?