So I melted the FX9590 and it's mobo a bit...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
...and was wondering what the best replacement right now would be for it? What is some decent budget solutions that are in the same league or better and use DDR3?

That's a humble request for cpu and mobo recommendations to replace an FX9590 and an asus Crossfire V formula Z.

It seems like a really, really crappy time to have to upgrade...or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance, and HOWDY AND BIG HUGS!!!! :D

I'll take some later, but it's not exciting. I'd given the CPU/mobo to my son and the water pump on the CLC died and the CPU or motherboard baked itself before it's thermal protections kicked in. :(

It smelled burnt, but no visible damage. Oh, that and neither works. <sigh>

I was actually proud/weirded out that I could find/replace his mobo in an afternoon, but it's an old DDR2 with a Phenom II 940 in it so he's sad. Got 16GB of DDR3 doing nothing and it just doesn't feel right!

I might have a spare fx chip. I have to check the storage tomorrow
That would be very awesome of ya Eastmen if you can, if not I appreciate the effort and thought. :)

Entity279 - LOL! I don't think so in my case, mine was a bit of a wash. I'd dropped the 9590 and bent a ton of pins, busted 5 off whilst straightening them, and put homemade replacements in the mobo to make it work. I'm pretty sure one of them had something to do with the temp regulation and probably was my fault that it failed. :(

That would be very awesome of ya Eastmen if you can, if not I appreciate the effort and thought. :)

Entity279 - LOL! I don't think so in my case, mine was a bit of a wash. I'd dropped the 9590 and bent a ton of pins, busted 5 off whilst straightening them, and put homemade replacements in the mobo to make it work. I'm pretty sure one of them had something to do with the temp regulation and probably was my fault that it failed. :(
i'm heading there tonight. Spent more time at Ren Fair than I thought I would yesterday

edit

I actually just went. I have a few old chips the only amd stuff I have is a phenom x6 black and a Athlon xp .

Sorry !

Last edited:
No problem, I really appreciate the thought and effort. Thanks buddy. :)

Hope you had fun at the fair!
yup a great time , my niece and nephew loved shooting bow and arrows so I'm going to take them for lessons

edit also if u want the phenom black let me know ,I will ship it to you. I'm pretty sure the phenom will work in the same boards. IT wont be great for gaming but could be a bridge if you don't want/can't put out for a new sytem or u just want to wait for zen

Last edited:
I'll take some later, but it's not exciting. I'd given the CPU/mobo to my son and the water pump on the CLC died and the CPU or motherboard baked itself before it's thermal protections kicked in. :(

It smelled burnt, but no visible damage. Oh, that and neither works. <sigh>

I was actually proud/weirded out that I could find/replace his mobo in an afternoon, but it's an old DDR2 with a Phenom II 940 in it so he's sad. Got 16GB of DDR3 doing nothing and it just doesn't feel right!

You may try ordering a couple sticks of 4GB ddr2, those are little known because they don't work in Intel systems, only AMD ones. As no one looks for them, they are cheap too.

...and was wondering what the best replacement right now would be for it? What is some decent budget solutions that are in the same league or better and use DDR3?

What's your budget?

I'd suggest a 2nd-hand X79 motherboard together with one of those E5 V2 IvyBridge Xeons that you could find for cheap on ebay (not very high-clocked, but you did come from a Bulldozer so single-threaded wise you'll probably be better off).
It would use your DDR3 and offer an awesome future-proofness due to lots of PCIe 16x slots (the CPUs have 48 lanes total) and many of those boards also have 8 DIMM slots so you could just add up more DDR3 DIMMs. Plus it's quad-channel so you'd get about the same memory bandwidth as some very high-end DDR4 DIMMs at lower latencies if you just populate 4 DIMMs.

I have zero budget on this one, my son goes in for his first job interview at 2 today (about an hour and a half from now) to try and land his first job so he can afford to upgrade it. :D

I have the following very old equipment available that I'd be willing to ship to you free. It was in use until 1 month ago when I upgraded my parents system to an Intel NUC. You would still need a heatsink. If you're not interested let me know so I can send it off to the recycler.

Intel Q6600 Quad-Core 2.4Ghz CPU LGA775 P35
Abit IP35 PRO
4 2GB DDR2 800Mhz Dimms

Digi once sent me a 9600xt (I was living in the Netherlands) and it got delivered just fine.
See there is Karma in the world. I gave a forum member a geforce 256 once (because they had some terrible gfx card) and years later I was rewarded.
Im running a q6700 (thanks to homerdog) 2.66ghz (the q6600 is 2.4ghz) and it runs every game ive thrown at it. version 1.0 of no mans sky needed sse 4.1 which my cpu doesnt support but the game has now been patched and it runs fine.

ps:
Well done Brit......
May the Gaming Gods bless his little cotton socks........

pps: the q6600 easilly hits 3ghz on air with a decent cooler (some people have hit 3.6)

Last edited:
I'd love it Brit, I'll gladly accept!

Did some looking through the parts and managed to find the Tuniq Heatsink/Fan that was used for it, so that can be sent too. I just need to find some boxes and packaging material for the two pieces.

First hit on the heatsink/fan: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2198

Digi, send me a PM and let know how you want to send me the shipping address, can be in the PM or we can exchange email info.

So BRiT sends me a PM about an hour and a half ago with the shipping information, and when I go to check the shipping information it's already out on the truck for delivery!

I'm just in shock, in a good way! Thank you so much BRiT, you have no idea how many happies this gives me. Thanks. :D

He's doing a great job of it, all the stuff came yesterday in their original boxes! I was out with the wife 4x4ing so I haven't played with it yet, but my son is drooling over the stuff! LOL

Thank you again BRiT, gonna be rebuilding a computer today and give my son back his gaming rig thanks to you. BIG thanks!!!! :D

Back