So, how would one go about getting into the industry?

Fox5

Veteran
Right now, I'm majoring in electrical and computer engineering, and I'm just starting my 2nd year. From what I hear, it doesn't really get all that into the theories behind everything, so would it really be the best track into the industry? Would I be better off going with say, a dual major in Physics and Computer Science? Obviously I intend to go to grade school (or so I hope), but I'm really not sure what the best way to get there would be.

Take all the core classes. For EE/ECE a good VHDL/Verilog class and processor design courses (CS and EE sides) are really needed background. Then, start applying for internships for the summer following your second year at ATI/AMD/IBM/Intel/Nvidia. If you really want to learn the deeper stuff, get involved in a professors's research projects. A good way to do this is to shine in a heavy project class they are teaching. This will help with needed experience for industry, as well as put you on a path for a good graduate program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, currently I'm also minoring in CS, Physics, and going for concentrations in Materials Science and Honors (my school actually offers an honors engineering lab class, and I assume I can pick up the rest in CS and Physics classes).

This is my school's curriculum
http://www.rowan.edu/colleges/engineering/departments/electricalcomputer/curriculum-2009.cfm

and these are the classes required (beyond the engineering degree) for a CS minor,
• 0704.112 Java for Object Oriented Programmers [0704.103; 1-credit bridge course]
• 1703.160 Discrete Structures [1701.122]
• 0704.222 Data Structures & Algorithms [0704.103 & 1703.150]
• 0704.114 Object Oriented Programming and Data Abstraction [0704.103 and 0704.112]

Think these are good, or are there any noticable gaps that need to be filled? The CS courses required for a minor seem a bit light (by 2 to 4 courses), as what's listed for a CS minor without a degree in EE seems to require a few courses that aren't listed on the EE curriculum, nor are equivalents.
Also, I haven't heard of any professors doing research in microprocessors at my school. I've seen some interesting CS and Physics research projects (none directly related to hardware, but some of the physics ones are pretty heavy into CS as well), though I haven't been actively inquiering professors yet.

Back