so, how long until current HDTV becomes old technology?

how long until we have 1440P and 1920P etc etc?

i'm a bit jaded by all of this. now what, i have to go re buy all my dvd's in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and then 4 years from now when Green-Ray discs come out (because surely everyone can see how the lifespan of any medium these days is shrinking) we'll have to do it all over again so we can take advantage of our new 1720P Ultra-HDTV.

any others out there having the same concerns i am?

it seems to be a good bussiness model for these big companies to not give us all of their best tech at once, but instead to trickle it out every 4-5 years in order to maximize revenues.

turkish a. punkass said:
how long until we have 1440P and 1920P etc etc?

i'm a bit jaded by all of this. now what, i have to go re buy all my dvd's in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and then 4 years from now when Green-Ray discs come out (because surely everyone can see how the lifespan of any medium these days is shrinking) we'll have to do it all over again so we can take advantage of our new 1720P Ultra-HDTV.

any others out there having the same concerns i am?

it seems to be a good bussiness model for these big companies to not give us all of their best tech at once, but instead to trickle it out every 4-5 years in order to maximize revenues.

It is commonly said that consumers can't tell the difference between regular and HD-material in small screens. In order to be able to tell the difference a large screen is required. That's mostly with 720p material as 1080p is not that common. Honestly I don't see us going much further than 1080p for the foreseable future. No use wasting precious space in our multi-TB hdds(we'll probably have multiple backups of our massive colletion of files), if we won't be able to easily tell the difference.

100MB+ broadband connections together with advances in compression will mean it may be one of the last physical mediums(for movies, videogames will probably make use of it as they continue to grow exponentially in size). Holographic discs which are the next format will presumably be used to store massive numbers of songs/movies/books bought over the wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
zidane1strife said:
It is commonly said that consumers can't tell the difference between regular and HD-material in small screens. In order to be able to tell the difference a large screen is required. That's mostly with 720p material as 1080p is not that common. Honestly I don't see us going much further than 1080p for the foreseable future. No use wasting precious space in our multi-TB hdds(we'll probably have multiple backups of our massive colletion of files), if we won't be able to easily tell the difference.

100MB+ broadband connections together with advances in compression will mean it may be one of the last physical mediums(for movies, videogames will probably make use of it as they continue to grow exponentially in size). Holographic discs which are the next format will presumably be used to store massive numbers of songs/movies/books bought over the wire.
I can easily tell the difference between HD rips and SD rips (xvid) on my computer.
Resolution isn't the only difference between SD and HD, HD has better color amongst other things (like contrast).

Back