So Grid finally makes its appearance...

aaaaa00

Regular
So Grid finally makes its appearance... And guess what? It's a server-side clustering system for the datacenter. Not a magical distributed processing system to connect up millions of PS3s into one huge hive mind. :D

Nothing to see here folks, this kind of stuff has been done for decades. VMS did it 20 years ago. ;-)

http://www.butterfly.net./buzz/releases/index.html

The Grid's OGSA-compliant software monitors the processing load on Linux®-based BladeCenters populated with 14 dual-Xeon® processors. When the Grid determines there are too many players connected to any particular server, the Grid automatically reconfigures underutilized Blades to support the most popular game-play and seamlessly transfers players to these Blades.

What I'm wondering is how the Magical Pixie Dust fits in with all of this :oops:

Looks like the hype machine is losing steam...FAST! :LOL:

PC-Engine said:
What I'm wondering is how the Magical Pixie Dust fits in with all of this :oops:

Looks like the hype machine is losing steam...FAST! :LOL:

I would say Sony is on the right track to deliver ... they'll get hands-on experience on a big scale in the life-circle of the PS2. This should help to fulfill their plans with the PS3. The grid-protocol scales well.

It will be interesting to see how Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo are going to handle 20.000.000+ simultaneously online-gamers.

It looks to me like they are probably using Globus technology to deal with co-allocation issues. Any distributed deployment utilizing the globus toolkit is probably considered "The Grid". But you guys are right.. This doesn't really look all that revolutionary. Similar solutions have existed in the past I think.

I doubt the technology is there in terms of latency etc. to have a true 20,000,000 person grid based simulation. Even if we did, I would think it would be slightly expensive.

As someone said above this is about GRID computing, not Cell computing.

Also the GRID (Butterfly.net) is currently being used by other games in development, one a MMOG.

This is about harnessing the power of different systems, it's been done before but not like this.

You can pretty much GRID enable any computer to draw more resources on demand. So, instead of butterfly.net having to physically have all the server clusters, they can lease these processing cycles from other company servers to provide more power to the server.

It may not seem revolutionary but it allows clustering and drawing power from disparate systems which are cheaper.

Speng.

aaaaa00 said:
So Grid finally makes its appearance... And guess what? It's a server-side clustering system for the datacenter. Not a magical distributed processing system to connect up millions of PS3s into one huge hive mind.

What I'm wondering is how the Magical Pixie Dust fits in with all of this Looks like the hype machine is losing steam...FAST!

You're both idiots motivated by alterior motives and ideologies, the latter to a much, much further extent.

The last two posts got it right, I'd suggest you look up "GRID Computing" and "IBM" in google, or Globus.org - and then realize that the comment concerning GRID was that SCE was looking towards the research centers (eg. IBM, Universities) towards ways of effectivly using distibuted resources in their design. GRID is a way of doing this, evidently that they looked at for some level of integration.

Why do people like PC-Engine talk without a clue? Don't you feel like a dumnbass after being proven wrong, or do you not see this, or don't care or what? Whats the mentality behind your constantly evolving useless comments

Clearly, they are looking for whatever M$ will eventually do in that arena, and then they will be sure to staunchly get behind that. I believe "agenda" is another word you may have been looking for. :)

Vince said:
You're both idiots motivated by alterior motives and ideologies, the latter to a much, much further extent.

The last two posts got it right, I'd suggest you look up "GRID Computing" and "IBM" in google, or Globus.org - and then realize that the comment concerning GRID was that SCE was looking towards the research centers (eg. IBM, Universities) towards ways of effectivly using distibuted resources in their design. GRID is a way of doing this, evidently that they looked at for some level of integration.

I've asked you these questions before, but I don't think you had a good answer for this last time, and I still don't think you do (you just pointed me to the same old papers, and the same old web downloadable toolkit, which I've ALREADY looked at):

How is the Globus toolkit actually different, fundamentally, from a CORBA, DCOM, or .NET based distributed architecture, other than being ideologically "pure" because of its "open source-ness" (despite being something IBM wants to charge you to use)?

I don't want a pointer to a PR fluff piece. Give me a real world example of something that could not be implemented in .NET (just for example). Code would satisfy me.

What does the Globus toolkit actually offer me TODAY, over competing solutions that already exist and are widely deployed in the industry?

And Vince, how come it is when someone questions your world-view, your first impulse is to call them an idiot, almost as if you take any criticism directed at a TOOLKIT, personally?

Why are you reacting with such vehemence? Why do you act as if you have a personal stake in this?

After all, you're the one challenging my world view, and I think I've been nothing but cordial and receptive, especially in our private exchanges.

Give me a real world example of something that could not be implemented in .NET (just for example).

Bump-mapping could be done on a C64 quite nicely... the catch is speed and efficiency...

Maybe this is part of his point...

A lot of things can be done using tricks, hacks, existing technologies... sometimes newer technologies do it better, it can happen...

Panajev2001a said:
Give me a real world example of something that could not be implemented in .NET (just for example).

Bump-mapping could be done on a C64 quite nicely... the catch is speed and efficiency...

Maybe this is part of his point...

A lot of things can be done using tricks, hacks, existing technologies... sometimes newer technologies do it better, it can happen...

Fine, give me an example of something that could be done significantly BETTER in globus, vs .net.

Remember, don't forget the entire tool chain is involved here. What about debugging a distributed app? How do you debug a task that is running across multiple machines? What about debugging a task that is split between interpreted and native code? What does Globus provide for this?

I know .Net provides some very slick remote debugging tools.

:D

aaaaa00 said:
I don't want a pointer to a PR fluff piece. Give me a real world example of something that could not be implemented in .NET (just for example). Code would satisfy me.

What does the Globus toolkit actually offer me TODAY, over competing solutions that already exist and are widely deployed in the industry?

Who said it had to be utterly revolutionary? You're creating your own hype and then outlashing when it doesn't live up.

It's a technology, it's open source, it works - they will build on it as stated before. Whats the problem? Ohh, I know...

And Vince, how come it is when someone questions your world-view, your first impulse is to call them an idiot, almost as if you take any criticism directed at a TOOLKIT, personally?

Why are you reacting with such vehemence? Why do you act as if you have a personal stake in this?

I hate stupidity, in our nice conversations I've stated this before. You're smarter than that, you're better than your first post - why did you make it?

Not a magical distributed processing system to connect up millions of PS3s into one huge hive mind.

If it can do it server side, what prevents an extention of this on a distributed scale foir various non-time sensitive processing - or what prevents it's use to moderate the sharing of computing and storage resources inside Cell, et al.

Instead, you take it to an extreme [eg. "huge hive mind"] and come across in the wrong way - if this is intentional I do not know.

I am sorry but aaaa0 I cannot join you in THIS specific debate... my knowledge in distributed computing implementation is not as deep as you guys, I cannot KNOW everything... not yet darn..., but I am working on it :LOL:

Vince said:
aaaaa00 said:

Who said it had to be utterly revolutionary? You're creating your own hype and then outlashing when it doesn't live up.

I recall speculation on this board that GRID was going to extend to millions of PS3s and be applied to distribute low latency game functions on the client side to multiple machines.

I believe myself and many others basically concluded it was going to be a server-side clustering solution.

Of course, I may be misremembering.

Vince said:
It's a technology, it's open source, it works - they will build on it as stated before. Whats the problem? Ohh, I know...

Just because a technology is open source does not instantly make it BETTER than what exists today.

The problem I have is not that Globus exists, it is with the attitude and automatic assumption that it is BETTER than what we already have, because 1. IBM is behind it, and 2. It is "open source".

Vince said:

I hate stupidity, in our nice conversations I've stated this before.

So do I, but I don't call people "idiots" when I believe their thinking is flawed.

Vince said:
You're smarter than that, you're better than your first post - why did you make it?

I don't believe what I've said in this thread so far has been stupid.

Ok maybe I went a little overboard with my "hive mind" remark. ;-)

Vince said:
Not a magical distributed processing system to connect up millions of PS3s into one huge hive mind.

If it can do it server side, what prevents an extention of this on a distributed scale foir various non-time sensitive processing -

Even for simple tasks, reliably distributing general processing and storage tasks (even reasonably non-time critical ones) onto millions of potentially insecure, untrusted (mod chips), potentially unreliable nodes (yank power plug), joined by unreliable, latency-filled, and bandwidth-limited connections would be architecturally difficult.

People have been working for years to solve just the distributed storage part of the problem, without total success. (Freenet, Farsite, etc.)

Current solutions for Internet distributed processing work precisely because they are extremely focused and limited in scope, and they attack a very narrow subset of problems. (Things like protein folding, distributed.net, etc.)

Clustered servers are a much easier problem to attack, precisely because you control the hardware, the interconnect, and the software environment.

With control over these, a lot of problems simply go away or are minimized. You can guarantee the interconnect is fast. You can take steps to minimize the possibility that the network connection vanishes because someone yanked the network cable. You can guarantee no one yanks the power at a critical instant. You can guarantee no one accidentally (or maliciously) corrupts the data you just wrote to disk A on Node B. So on and so forth.

Vince said:
or what prevents it's use to moderate the sharing of computing and storage resources inside Cell, et al.

Inside a single machine composed of Cells, why bother with Globus at all?

Why invoke a location-server when you damn well know where that object is? Why encode everything in XML? Why pass around method calls using a horrible inefficient message based protocol? Spend time marshalling function arguments all over the place? Why? :oops:

It is like flying to the moon and back in order to get to the local supermarket. Flying to the moon might be useful if your final destination is Mars, but if you're just going down the street, why waste all that effort?

Within a single machine, Globus is a waste of time, especially on a console, where time is always at a premium. SOAP is a waste of time. DCOM is a waste of time. Distributed CORBA is a waste of time.

It's not like the Globus Toolkit actually helps you partition your problem, nor does it help you with synchronization, scheduling, or debugging (all the hard parts of writing a highly parallel app).

Vince said:
Instead, you take it to an extreme [eg. "huge hive mind"] and come across in the wrong way - if this is intentional I do not know.

I may be misremembering, but I do recall a discussion here at B3D where that very notion came up, and some people thought it would indeed be feasible for time-critical tasks to be broken up and farmed out to many PS3 clients.

Still, ok, I admit I may have gone a little overboard with the hive mind comment. :)

Peace?

It is like flying to the moon and back in order to get to the local supermarket. Flying to the moon might be useful if your final destination is Mars, but if you're just going down the street, why waste all that effort?

I think that's what SONY wants for PS3 so that games programmed for PS3 will be too difficult and time consuming for porting to Xbox2 and GCN2. So basically they get title exclusivity for free.

Kutaragi: " Tonight is special... ah I cannot wait"

Okamoto: "What are we doing tonight ?"

Kutaragi: "We are going to conquer the world, as we always do"

:LOL:

you in the dark , you in the pain , you on the run .... living a hell , living a ghost , living your end .... never seemed to get in the place that i belong , don't want to loose the time , loose the time to come .... whatever u say its alright , whatever you do its a good ... whatever you say its all right .. silence is not the way ... we need to talk about it it ... if heaven is on the way .. if heaven is on the way ...

oh sorry ... yawn getting tired . Anyway .Your all going to be disapointed when the ps3 comes out . Sony has over hyped and under delivered on every launch so far.

Back