So did mother theresa actually help anyone or just "gave a lot of love"?

Maybe it's because she was one person out there who dedicated her life to the poor, sick, homeless, and needy. She helped thousands throughout her life and was one of the greatest humanitarians of the 20th century. Religious affiliations aside, she set an example for people around the world.

Maybe it's because she was one person out there who dedicated her life to the poor, sick, homeless, and needy. She helped thousands throughout her life and was one of the greatest humanitarians of the 20th century. Religious affiliations aside, she set an example for people around the world.

Did you copy and paste that from some "template to reply when asked about Mother theresa"?

Also don't tell me that I should do better than her.

Anyhow, the question was what this dedication actually ment.

I checked the wiki article and it seems that Bullshit mostly shed light upon her Home of the dying, where people just sat down and waited to die "a beutiful death".

Now, how much of her work were these "home of the dying", and what did "help" mean in other places?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmAEPrALVjM&NR=1

The second part of that Bullshit episode on Mother Theresa.

If even just half of Hitchens's accusations are true, she most certainly did not qualify as a "one of the greatest humanitarians". She wouldn't qualify as a humanitarian at all.

That's right, instead of trying to better the lives of those around you, question the motives and methods of those that do, that way you don't have to!

:rolleyes:

That's right, instead of trying to better the lives of those around you, question the motives and methods of those that do, that way you don't have to!

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread... Does everything have to have a controversial badass side to it? Every politician, celebrity, governmental instituion, 9/11, foreign policies, saints, nuns, blah blah blah blah...

And if 99% of what he says is self serving bullshit? I mean he is trying to sell a book right?
Everyone who writes books is trying to sell them. Following your argument, that would mean that books are suspect by default. Hitchens isn't just a random hack, by the way, and his research is usually solid.

The accusation is that she didn't better the lives of those around her, quite the contrary. Her work has remained unexamined journalistically for decades, leading to the kind of knee-jerk reaction you are displaying.

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread... Does everything have to have a controversial badass side to it?
Nothing is so holy we can't examine, investigate and if neccessary - criticize - it.

Or nothing SHOULD be anyway.

You agree or don't agree?
Peace.
PS: What's up with that dude gulping whiskey and smoking lik ea chimney in that clip? LOL.. Can we trust him? WTH...!

Last edited by a moderator:
I only watched the first clip - yet - and whoah. He certainly doesn't mince words.

Then again if he's as plastered as I suspect he is - if he drinks as much always as he did in that lilttle short clip about mother theresa whatshername - then half of it must have been th ebooze talking lol!

Oh and Falwell certaily was one of the blackest vilest lumps of shit the devil ever shat upion this planet. Metaphorically speaking of course.. Waht an utterly despiccable and repugnant excuse of a human being.

Peace.

Everyone who writes books is trying to sell them. Following your argument, that would mean that books are suspect by default.

Yes.

Hitchens isn't just a random hack, by the way, and his research is usually solid.

I never said he was a random hack, he's a motivated one. He's anti-religion. Attacking a well respected religious figure long after she is dead and can't defend herself is always good for mileage.

Well is he attacking her or those that hold certain opinions of her?

She might never have asked to be lauded as one of mankinds most kindly people, but she generally is represented as such. Surely his motives are to challenge the people whom he believes falsely represent her like that, rather than the woman herself.

No kidding, its amazing that apparently you should forget what a personally potentially really did and instead worship them for the figure they are given by others. Of course, I get the feeling more and more than I'm suppose to walk through life and not question anything at all, so many of the comments in this thread would have be believe so.

Maybe Mother Theresa was a great humanitarian. Maybe she was just a fantastic fund-raiser for Christianity, which is a worthy enough cause to many people anyway.

I'd say there are more important things in the world than whether or not she's worthy of YOUR praise. You're certainly not going to change the minds of any of her believers. It's like arguing about whether Hitler has a bit of a bad rap that overlooks the good he's done in the world.

Meh. I didn't mean to sound like a hallmark get over it card. Still, she did set an example for people. She may have hurt as many as she helped, but yea. Catholicism has praised people for millennia. Just think it's kind of funny.

Oh, and Hitchens is a good example of a guy who loves to voice his opinion and I'm all ears for the entertainment.

Nothing is so holy we can't examine, investigate and if neccessary - criticize - it.

Or nothing SHOULD be anyway.

You agree or don't agree?
Peace.
PS: What's up with that dude gulping whiskey and smoking lik ea chimney in that clip? LOL.. Can we trust him? WTH...!
Who's immaculate? But why criticize her? She's a good symbol for millions of people. Go criticize and investigate and spread the word about every little misdeed about people that deserve it. Like the political leaders of nations. I just don't understand this trend with many people these days of being controversial badasses and finding a dark side(wether real or imagined) in everything out there.

Go criticize and investigate and spread the word about every little misdeed about people that deserve it.
Maybe you should read the criticsm first before you disqualify it as "spreading the word about every little misdeed", because the misdeeds she is accused of aren't exactly little, they are quite severe and the one thing she does NOT deserve is the unquestioning admiration by the public.

There are a lot of selfless people out there who, unlike Mother Theresa, actually HELP the poor. No one is talking about them, we don't even know their names and we don't shower them with honors.

Instead we're praising a disgusting little religious extremist, with theological positions that are even considered fringe within the most conservative circles of her own church, who has an extremely questionable track record when it comes to actually helping the poor, as opposed to "compassionately" watching them suffer in order to feel closer to Jesus.

A person whose idea of "helping" never involved actually alleviating suffering but helping people to die in an approved Catholic manner. A person, with tens of millions of donated money at her disposal, who opted to open a franchise of nunneries all over the world to spread Catholicism, while back in Calcutta the good sisters had to re-use injection needles in institutions that have been regularly described as bad and primitive as these Romanian orphanages back in the early 1990s.

The only remarkable thing about Mother Theresa is the unquestioning reverence she is treated with by a credulous public, who lap up the fake image of her that was carefully constructed by an asshole Brit journalist 4 decades ago, and was equally carefully maintained by cunning a woman aspiring sainthood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back