So did AMD change their graphics orinted plans after all?

Techno+

Regular
taken from the following link

http://techreport.com/etc/2005q4/amd-direction/index.x?pg=2

'The bits mentioned in the "future goals" column are further out into the future and more nebulous, but some of them are potentially more exciting, as well. At the top of the list are FPU-oriented extensions to the AMD64 instruction set. I'm speculating a bit here, but these new extensions may go hand-in-hand with another eyebrow-raising item in the list, "on-chip coprocessors." At first blush, these words would seem to suggest the addition of some specialized cores on chip to handle specific types of math, but that's apparently not what AMD has planned. Instead, Hester said that beyond two cores, additional general-purpose cores on the chip could be thought of as configurable co-processors. The specialized FPU extensions to AMD64 may help in this regard, allowing for more flexible allocation of the execution resources on those cores. Hester mentioned two possible applications for reconfigured cores: 3D graphics and data encryption.'

What brought this matter to my notice is that AMD said that they wont add Application specific cores but instead build General Purpose cores with the ability to reconfigured. And now, after one year and 4 months from these announcements, AMD said they will integrate GPUs into CPUs, so what the hell has gone wrong?

I think they mean that the GPU they integrate will be fully capable of branching, integer math and IEEE FP32 and FP64, etc... It will be "general purpose" in the sense that it can run any sort of code, but certainly you wouldn't want to run AI on it, for example. Such co-processors will be optimized for streaming processing, graphics in particular, even if they could run any code in theory.

Back