So anyone watched 'Ghost in the shell: Innocence' yet?

oi

Regular
Opinions?

I personally thought it was a pretty thin story, mixed with awesome visuals and sound. Too bad I'll most likely never get the chance to watch it on the big screen, since I really got the feeling of it being held back by my not so top tier home theatre setup hehe.

it looked really good. Other than that like most other anime and big hollywood movies its plot could have been better.

I enjoyed sky captian much more. Though that is a movie you must see in the thearters for maximum effect and a good thearter too .

Just sat through it - Not bad at all really, although it obviously and unsuprisingly pales into comparison against the original.

It also tried a little too hard to be thought-provoking at times, making it feel laboured in its philosophical moments whereas the original flowed smoothly.

Overall, I'd give it a 7/10 I guess. As you say, the visuals and sound were simply superb, although I'm still not sure quite how comfortable I am with the vast amount of CG being used in some animes, it kind of loses something in places I feel.

I saw it on the big screen, and like most of you say, the visuals were quite stunning. The plot was decent, though it really ramped down quickly at the end. (reminds me of stephenson novels). It was certainly interesting, and a bit creepy. I liked it better than most hollywood stuff out there. Reminded me a lot of irobot, though darker.

Nite_Hawk

Interesting. I thought it completely destroyed the first film in every way. It completely redefined anime as we know it.

The best way for me to describe GITS2:I is that it's a complete mind fuck. I will probably need to watch it 3-5 times to get a good understanding of it, and that's without even seeing it multiple times on DVD.

I felt this way only after seeing Akira and Mulholland Drive for the first time.

Overall : Great Anime

Just saw it earlier today, like everyone has said the visuals were very nice. The story is in fact mostly a repeat of the first with a sligth twist. The movie has a lot less action and feels slower. Mostly lack of action and at times too much talking about the same thing. How many ways can they say the same thing before even the slowest person in the movie theater will get it? I felt that the movie concentrated on the past too much and didnt deliver enough of the current sort of speak.

Natoma said:
The best way for me to describe GITS2:I is that it's a complete mind fuck. I will probably need to watch it 3-5 times to get a good understanding of it, and that's without even seeing it multiple times on DVD.

You do have a good point here, I was left with a feeling of 'I need to watch this again', so I get the suspicion I may well need at least a second viewing to really get the most out of it (Perhaps in a dubbed format as well - Much as I normally dislike a lot of dubs, I wasn't too impressed with the subtitles of the version I got, it felt like I was missing some big chunks of dialogue, and in places it actually becomes too heavy going to read).

Natoma said:
Interesting. I thought it completely destroyed the first film in every way. It completely redefined anime as we know it.

I felt this way only after seeing Akira and Mulholland Drive for the first time.

I disagree. I felt the movie was shallow and honestly i don't really look foward to watching it.

But hey we all like diffrent things eh ?

jvd said:
Natoma said:

I disagree. I felt the movie was shallow and honestly i don't really look foward to watching it.

But hey we all like diffrent things eh ?

Errrmm.. Remember Natoma's views on Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions? :oops: ;)

Pfft. That's just cause you were both too slow to "get it" ;)

Brilliant minds such as myself understood it perfectly well. :rolleyes: :p :devilish:

Hanners said:
Much as I normally dislike a lot of dubs, I wasn't too impressed with the subtitles of the version I got, it felt like I was missing some big chunks of dialogue, and in places it actually becomes too heavy going to read).

I think you can be assured that proper subs will appear in the near feature. The Hawks release is very poor.

The haWks release definately felt like a lets-release-a-half-assed-sub-just-to-be-first release. Lots of missing dialogue and messy timing on the subs :?

I loved it as well.

It was less good than the original (b/c lets face it, the original was an alltime classic).

It lacked a few human elements from the first one, as well as some action scenes. The endless quotes also made it a little irratating (while the original had the amount just right). However it still had its thought provoking moments.

Unfortunately, those thought provoking moments were almost, but not quite, similar to the ones from the original.

K, so you can get hacked and your reality is no longer certain. K, so dolls are boring unless they have a ghost in them. The themes are similar.

I saw it with 3 people.. One had seen the original, the other two had not. Unsurprisingly, the latter could barely follow it at all and hated it, whereas the former and I loved it.

Fred said:
I loved it as well.

It was less good than the original (b/c lets face it, the original was an alltime classic).
For me personally, watching the first movie for the first time was pretty much a "meh!" experience. But it has grown on me over time. To be truthful, I feel that GitS' marketing (advertise it in the US as "Japanese cult hit", and use its success in America to push it in Japan where it wasn't terribly popular) and a certain "right movie at the right time" phenomenon contributed much to the film's popularity.
I find that I like the film mainly because of the things that many others hate (the slow parts, the philosophical bits). In a way, if it is indeed regarded as an alltime classic, it is regarded as such for the wrong reasons IMO.

In any case, my points being:
a) I liked the first one (but only after a while)
b) It took a while to become popular

Both of these are just as liable to happen to Innocence, so let's see what happens... ;)

The visuals were absolutelly mind-boggling! Though there story was weak. And it just isn't GitS without Mokoto :D

The first one was okay, but I was turned off by the notoriously cheesy English dubbing. I'm a big fan of the series though, the quality is top!

Back