smartphone (t-mobile GSM)

Hey Rurouni can you link to some info? I checked Cyanogen and it isn't in the list of supported devices (unless I had a brain fart and looked under tablets or something). There is a sony Z, but no Z1, and maybe that means no Z1s. It seems a tad niche to me. XDA developer forum for it is less lively than my current phone which was dead. I am very tempted as the camera seems nice, though Mize does have a pretty glowing review of the G2. I just rode my bike home in the rain so the waterproof bit on the sony is a nice feature as well.

yeah, the waterproof is uber cool (I cycle with my phone in a ziplock bag). My main Sony Z(1) negative was that AT&T (where I have my grandfathered unlimited data) didn't have a subsidized phone and I wasn't willing to pay full price. Also, since the G2 was basically an N5 I figured it would get newer OS updates faster and, hence, faster CM10/11 ports.

It does look like there is an active CM10/11 port going for the Z1 though...

yeah, the waterproof is uber cool (I cycle with my phone in a ziplock bag). My main Sony Z(1) negative was that AT&T (where I have my grandfathered unlimited data) didn't have a subsidized phone and I wasn't willing to pay full price. Also, since the G2 was basically an N5 I figured it would get newer OS updates faster and, hence, faster CM10/11 ports.

It does look like there is an active CM10/11 port going for the Z1 though...

I actually use a ziplock as well currently, but I realized I forgot it and it was pouring rain :) Luckily my panniers are still new enough they kept things safe.

Well I am now debating between the z1s and the G2. The G2 has a worse camera, but OIS. Neither has a decent flash. The size difference, battery life, and waterproof features are very different. I will probably head to a store and hold something similar to see what I think. The Z1s is not released yet so I don't have that option unfortunately, but a 5S should be pretty similar in size.

The OIS on the G2 ought to allow much better low-light performance than a phone without but, scanning through a couple of reviews, it appears that the firmware (when released) doesn't get the best out of the camera module. As you might expect, there is a long thread on xda where somebody has produced some mods to improve the camera performance though I can't say how effective these might be!

The Z1s seems a bit heavy to me. My previous phone weighed a similar amount (in a hard case) and my newer phone is much lighter and less noticeable when in my pocket. If the (relatively) high weight isn't an issue, I don't doubt you'll be pretty happy with either of these two phones once you buy one.

I will say that I think the G2's camera is crap for low light or any kind of flash throw.
If it were me today and the Z1 was available for a similar price and had CM10/11 (stable) I'd go with the Z1. Just a better looking phone and the waterproof is very, very nice.

I will say that I think the G2's camera is crap for low light or any kind of flash throw.
If it were me today and the Z1 was available for a similar price and had CM10/11 (stable) I'd go with the Z1. Just a better looking phone and the waterproof is very, very nice.

Yeah I would too, but it doesn't have that CM thing going for it. Quite a shame, but oh well. I guess the decision has to be hard.

Daylight photos or even well-lit indoor photos are fine. Close-range flash is decent. Low light or beyond about 15 feet with flash suck. Then again almost all smartphones suck at low light or >15 foot flash throw.

Where did you get your phone btw? I was looking and no one seems to be selling the t-mobile version except t-mobile who is selling it for msrp which kinda sucks. I might be able to find an international version somewhere, but then I would miss wifi calling which I kind of like the idea of.

Where did you get your phone btw? I was looking and no one seems to be selling the t-mobile version except t-mobile who is selling it for msrp which kinda sucks. I might be able to find an international version somewhere, but then I would miss wifi calling which I kind of like the idea of.

I got mine via my AT&T corporate account at a local store. I had purchased a subsidized Q10 and loved it but saw its imminent demise and sold it online for more than I paid then purchased the LGG2 unsubsidized from AT&T. I know the AT&T version can be flashed to T-Mobile firmware, but that's no help unless you can find a cheap AT&T model. AFAIK the international cannot be flashed to T-Mobile.

Love my N5, I've used almost every major phone mode and it's my favorite. Work well with T-Mobile (LTE where I live) and AT&T.

Back