SMART monitoring error message

suryad

Veteran
My machine specs are in the sig below. As you can see I have a couple of raptors in RAID 0. So lately ever since I have been gaming FEAR (no on Extraction Point) I see after I quit the game on occasion the Nvidia smart monitoring has a message saying that it has detected some problems with my hard drive and to do a scan. When I do the test there are no issues however. Any ideas? Should I start expecting the worst? I have a feeling this could lead to me having to upgrade my hard drives...thoughts?

You can try WD's diagnostic program (I think it's called "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic" or something) which can perform a SMART scanning and (if required) a full scanning. If it found something, it can generate a RMA report and you can RMA your HD directly to WD.

You can try WD's diagnostic program (I think it's called "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic" or something) which can perform a SMART scanning and (if required) a full scanning. If it found something, it can generate a RMA report and you can RMA your HD directly to WD.

Cool thanks I will check it out. Weird thing is it only happens when I have been playing the FEAR series. Till before I have never ever seen anything like this lol.

Thanks chav. I tried that Data guard tool but it refuses to install on XP x64. So I guess I will try out the hddlife app. On the bright side, I did play Extraction Point for quite a long period of time and there were no SMART related popups...weird! I wonder if its got to do with Nvidia's system tools...

It's possible that the smart warning is a false positive. However, there is also a possibility that the smart warning is related to a "weak" sector, i.e. a sector can be read correctly but sometimes may have CRC error. If only FEAR has files on said sectors, you'll only have smart error when playing FEAR.

Back