Small recap

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by marco, Aug 22, 2002.

1. marco

Regular

After the ATI 9700 reviews, especially the one that wavey wrote : good job buddy!, now a small recap on the other new release: AMD's new cpu. AMD released it's new CPU's ahead of schedule and introduced the XP2400+ and XP2600+.

I love AMD for their low prices. I now own an 1800+, but if prices continue to drop, I will put in another CPU already. The only worry I have is temperature. There is where Intel is still king, Intel's CPU's just don't get that hot. I was searching for a review which looked into that, but still no luck. For now a small roundup of some reviews:

Firingsquad AMD XP 2600+ review
    Anandtech XP2600+ review
    AMD Zone XP2600+ review

You also could hop to the list at AMD Zone

[EDIT]
    Hmm I have found some remarks at Hot hardware, but they are using a new faster cooler (a wopping 6000rpm, which is a big bummer, 6000rpm coolers will make your PC one hell of a noisy machine)

Finally, someone who took the same cooler and placed it on the new cpu, altough not the most indepth review, but they did take a look at the temp: Via hardware

[UPDATE]
    I just got an email from one of our readers:
    I was reading the updates on your main page today & decided I'd have to make a comment when you suggested Intel P4's produce less heat than athlon's... This is actually a falicy... Intel doesn't report their maximum heat of their chips in heavy use, just 'normal use'. Where as AMD has always reported their maximum heat at full CPU utilization... For a better comparison check out the following link

2. Anonymous

Veteran

look here :

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q3/020821/index.html

not directly what you wanted but maybe close?

3. marco

Regular

Sorry, do you actually believe I'm going to look at tom's hardware site?
    Why? Both tom and me started to write on hardware back in 1993 and I have found on numeral occasions that he was not telling the truth.
    SO, No thank you....

I just editted the post with some info of our readers....

4. BenSkywalker

Regular

Kyle talked about temps a bit in his review, although I don't recall him giving out any wattage numbers he did stress that the new chip ran quite a bit cooler(backing VIA's comments).