Small ATX case. Suggestions?

Roger Kohli

Newcomer
Can anyone recommend a small ATX case which would still be big enough for a 8800GTS? The restriction is that it mustn’t be more than 16.5â€￾ (42 cm) from front to back (I know, its going to be a squeeze).

Cheers

These are the times of hot components. Graphic cards, CPUs, HDDs, are all pretty hot these days. A small case is a huge disadvantage really.

Is a desktop case an option?

I have never seen a tower case that small, but there are some of HTPC enclosures less than 42 cm. The Silverstone LC3 - 425mm(w) x 160.5mm(h) x 415 mm(d) - for one, but you'll probably lose all external- and all but one internal 3.5" bays. The LC17, which dosn't have any free external 3.5" bays (by default taken by front IO/card reader), should be able do acomodate three internal drives alongside a long graphics card, but it is 425mm deep.

A desktop is a possibility.

When I build a new system I usually pass my old one on to a family member or friend. What I might have to do is buy a new case, put all my existing components in that, and all the new components in the old case. A bit more work, but finding a small case is proving very difficult.

My company have recently bought some Dells that are only 16.5" deep. Do Dell make their own cases or does someone manufacture them for them?

My company have recently bought some Dells that are only 16.5" deep. Do Dell make their own cases or does someone manufacture them for them?
Optiplex? I'm not sure those are ATX, and virtually certain they won't fit an 8800GTS. Finding a sub 42cm deep case is easy, but finding one that fill fit an ATX motherboard and the graphics card at that size is tough.

Out of curiosity, may I ask why it can't be more than 42cm, and what case are you using now?

Is a desktop case an option?

I have never seen a tower case that small, but there are some of HTPC enclosures less than 42 cm. The Silverstone LC3 - 425mm(w) x 160.5mm(h) x 415 mm(d) - for one, but you'll probably lose all external- and all but one internal 3.5" bays. The LC17, which dosn't have any free external 3.5" bays (by default taken by front IO/card reader), should be able do acomodate three internal drives alongside a long graphics card, but it is 425mm deep.

The LC17 actualy looks very nice http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc17.htm it has possibilities. Thanks

Out of curiosity, may I ask why it can't be more than 42cm, and what case are you using now?

It has to fit under a desk and can't stick out. I'm using some non-descript box and I can't immediately see a label on it. It's certainly nothing fancy. In fact it probably counts as the "Y-fronts" of PC cases :)

Whatever you do I would get a mid-tower at least, preferably at full-tower case. The better you plan for your case component the longer you won't have to actually replace that component. The component that will need that space more so today than any other is the video card, or motherboard... if you want the latest generation that are typically larger anyway.

That goes for the PSU to an extent, as well as the sound card, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and a few other components. Many don't need to be upgraded for a long time.

Back