SLI tests at anand

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by chavvdarrr, Oct 30, 2004.

1. jimmyjames123

Regular

I don't think you would see a 20+ % increase in 3dmark05 performance of 6600GT in SLI vs a single 6800GT if none of the above was true to a certain extent ;) But of course we will know more once more tests are performed. I also suspect that gains from SLI may increase a bit in some instances once the drivers are further developed.

2. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

There are other tests for testing vertex performance than just 3dmark05 you know ;)

3. jimmyjames123

Regular

Naturally :D But from looking at the limited SLI performance data so far, it seems pretty clear that NV's SLI solution offers more than simply an increase in pure texture fillrate.

4. KimB

Legend

I think the key is that it can improve geometry performance. It will essentially only do this in the case of alternate frame rendering, which, some claim, is currently disabled in drivers (Can't test it myself).

5. ChrisRay

Veteran

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((Actually nevermind. I am not going to discuss with Jimmyjames based off previous discussions with him as I dont like him and I'm getting irritated))

6. jimmyjames123

Regular

Do you know if the drivers used in the [H]OCP and Anand SLI tests had afr enabled in the drivers?

7. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

AFR appears to be forced on for certain benchmarks. Circumvent the detection to use the split screen mode and there is no geometry scaling at all - at least, so far.

8. jimmyjames123

Regular

And also more vertex shading power, theoretically.

Tough to say with such a limited amount of SLI tests, but in the SLI numbers presented by [H]OCP, the 6600GT in SLI gained the most percentage-wise in the three tests run. In Anand's tests, the 6600GT in SLI gained the most percentage-wise at all resolutions tested in Doom3, in addition to the lowest resolutions tested in CS Stress Test and FarCry, but had less performance improvement than the 6800GT at the two highest resolutions tested in the latter two games. Keep in mind that the drivers appear to be a bit raw at the moment, so the picture could change a bit with more mature drivers.

9. ChrisRay

Veteran

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((Actually nevermind. I am not going to discuss with Jimmyjames based off previous discussions with him as I dont like him and I'm getting irritated))

10. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

:shock: Geez why do people come here for therapy. Can't you deal with your self esteem issues somewhere else. Your figures show one scenario where it's more expensive. Others have shown where it's worthwhile. Just like everybody else you're guessing. What makes you right besides your witty 'SLIdiot' remarks?

Anybody see the INQ story on ATI copying Nvidia's 2xPCIe approach next year. Think it's a possiblility jvd :lol:

11. Unit01

Newcomer

Midrange......... You call a 6800 a midrange chip. Didn't know we were in the future already.

12. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

Where have you been?

13. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I saw your little teasers Dave. But as long as you're not giving more than that the INQ still has appeal :wink:

14. Ichneumon

Regular

Is it just me? I mean does that statement not just smack of deception on Nvidias part in that context?

15. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

Is this true? 8 ROPs @ 500MHz vs. 16 ROPs @ 350MHz seem to favor the 6800GT in terms of fillrate. (SLI 6600GT does have the theoretical edge in shader power due to its clock speed advantage, tho, as you noted.)

16. jimmyjames123

Regular

SLI on the NV cards can use a variety of different scaleability algorithms, and the driver can switch between different modes in game to maximize performance potential. It's not like the card will forever be stuck in fixed screen mode, alternate frame rendering mode, etc. As Chalnoth pointed out, geometry performance can scale depending on what rendering mode is used.

Depends on how one interprets your prior comments. You said "I am mostly interested in SLI scaling compared to single chip solutions", and that's exactly what I showed you...[H]OCP and Anand's SLI performance data vs single card. Looks like you are more interested in seeing the theoretical tests.

It would be foolish to assume that bandwith and shading performance would automatically double. What ultimately counts is performance gains realized in SLI as shown via actual gaming benchmarks. Clearly, a 6600GT in SLI brings about some very significant peformance gains over a single card, even if it operating at well less than 100% efficiency.

The SLI performance data will speak for itself. Clearly the 6600GT in SLI seems to hold it's own against a 6800GT up to 1280x1024 with 4xAA, and more than holds in own in benchmarks like Halo and 3dmark05. Time will tell of course, but if 3dmark05 is any indicator of future performance potential, than 6600GT in SLI would hold a significant edge. Performance differences will naturally depend on what game is being tested, and what settings the game is tested at.

17. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

Present drivers have no options. Split Screen load-balancing is the "default", but it appears that AFR is being used in certain cases, not selectable by the user. We'll see if that changes though.

18. jimmyjames123

Regular

Hopefully we will soon find out more about the SLI drivers...although I'm not sure I've seen NV state that they will have user-selectable options to enable/disable various rendering options in SLI. To my understanding, the driver will automatically switch rendering modes on the fly if needed.

19. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Would these certain cases generally revolve around a company named Futuremark?

20. KimB

Legend

That would obviously be one case. The high geometry requirements of 3DMark05 mean AFR is pretty much required to get any benefit out of SLI in that benchmark.