Skipping/jumping frames + repeating sounds in HL2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by TeflonS7, Nov 16, 2004.

1. TeflonS7

Newcomer

Anybody here experience any slight skipping accompanied by repeated sounds in the game? By repeated sounds I mean like a cd skipping or something. They don't go on forever or anything and they get back on track but it's very annoying. It happens with the same events every time and doesn't last long, almost like it's loading. Happens during the sequence where the doc tells you to "hit the switch." Sorry for being kinda vague on that, but I don't wanna give anything away (though it IS within the first few min.). It also happens a few other spots, but I don't remember exactly where (I worked last night and am kinda tired :)). I'm running with specs in sig. I believe it's also worth mentioning that a friend of mine is also having the same problem. He's running a similar system with a DFI LanParty A board with a Mobile 2600+ @ 200x12 for 2.4ghz. He has an X800pro (not sure what brand) and is running HL2 at 10x7 w/ 6xAA and 16xAF, while I decided to just keep what the game recommended and am running at 10x7 w/ 4xAA and 8xAF. Vsync disabled, all other settings on high and reflections are on Reflect All. We both have a GB of RAM (same exact stuff actually, see sig) so I don't see how that could be causing it. I'm running on a fairly fresh install of WinXP MCE (only a few days old) while my friend's running WinXP pro that's probably a couple months old. He is running Omega 2.5.90's while I'm running the 4.12 betas. I don't see how this could be a cpu issue as I think a 2.33ghz and 2.4ghz amd far exceed the requirements. If any of you guys have any ideas or experience the same thing, lemme know.

Thanx!

TeflonS7

2. Pallaris

Newcomer

Im getting the exact same thing.

I have a ATI X800XTPE
    3400+
    1gig RAM.
    10KRPM Raptor

Something is seriously screwed. It sounds like HL2 isnt pre caching sounds. Theres lots of skipping in my game. Really dissapointed so far.

3. Pallaris

Newcomer

Worth noting i have an aduigy 2. Its almost as if the game doesnt pre cache the sounds in the game...like they're beeing accessed from disk and then cached to memory for further use.

Bah horrible..everytime a new sound is initiated like spoken dialogue..a gun shot in a new area...just basically any new sounds that come into the mix cause the stutters..and the fps goes down at these moments.

My game is really laggy. This is unacceptable.

4. pino

Newcomer

same problem here with 6800GT + Audigy 2

going to try now with cl_forcepreload 1 and see if fix things

5. TeflonS7

Newcomer

I'm actually using onboard sound. I could kinda understand having the problem on my system (though it doesn't justify it); having it on an external is just plain rediculous.

6. DeKay

Newcomer

i am getting repeated sounds, problem is IT COMPLETELY LOCKS THE PC!
    can't even pass the first game, it locks up when the train horns or something
    it even locks up at the title sometimes....
    heeelp :(
    using nforce 2 soudnstorm with 9600xt (4.12beta)

7. DeKay

Newcomer

pino did preload work ?

8. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I'm getting sound stuttering with the higher graphics settings on my laptop with its realtek bargain-basement-junk audio. It's really annoying since the framerate is totally acceptable.

I had this same problem with Halo PC.

It reminds me of PCI Latency issues with SB Lives back in the day.

Otherwise this game is quite impressive. The animation is just the best I've ever seen...OMG the faces! The engine may not be super sophisticated but the art production is absolutely top notch. I really like the shaders I've seen that are used to enhance realism of surfaces.

9. speng

Regular

Hopefully they have a fix for this very very soon, it is annoying :twisted:

But loving the game so far.

Speng.

10. Sideshow

Newcomer

Having the same problem, just not as much as some of you guys are. Using my onboard audio (soundstorm)

11. mrtanner69

Newcomer

Getting it with an Audigy 1 and al graphics settings maxed out.

Quite annoying.

12. Murakami

Regular

Same here: XP 2800+, 1 gb ram, Radeon 9700, SB Audigy 2...all with latest drivers.

13. kyleb

Veteran

Defraging helped a lot, but I have the problem as well. Does anyone not have any swapping issues?

14. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Defragging helped for me and I changed "sv_forcepreload" to "1" in the config but I'm still getting little hitches here and there.

A bit distracting, but no show-stopper for me...I'm still agog at this game! :shock:

15. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

i noticed the same thing. Some of the hitches i get i'm sure is because of the game doing autosave which lead to a short stutter and sound loop

Anybody know how to disable autosave? Already tried autosave 0 but it didn't do the trick

edit:

sv_autosave 0 will disable autosave after level transition but not disable the autosave trigger inbetween uf

16. Scott_Arm

Legend

Blaah

I like the game, but the constant looping sounds and stuttering when a new sound is accessed is really ruining it. And the occassional crash doesn't help either. I'd noticed this when I was playing CS:Source, but it happens far more often with HL2.

Runnin an Athlon64 2800 on a K8 Neo Platinum(Nforce 3 250) w/ 512 mb of RAM and a Radeon9500Pro(4.12 betas)

My disk is thrashing like crazy playing this game. Wish I could afford more RAM.

edit: May also be worth noting that I'm using onboard sound - Realtek AC850 or something. Although, it doesn't seem like anyone has hardware in common.

I'm gettin really nice framerates, around 50 or 60, except when I get a sound stutter and it locks up for a few seconds.

17. Pallaris

Newcomer

Well even with a gig of ram the game fits and stutters like mad for me. Really dissapointed as it goes. Spent way too much money on hardware in anticipation and to have it end up like this is really poor. PC gaming eh..nothing chages then.

I hope they can address this in a patch via steam.

18. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

I am very surprised after reading these problems.

Did something similar happen to Doom 3? I guess not.

This can be considered a major FU.

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

SOLUTION! Seems to work for me.

Turn down your audio acceleration 1 notch from full to standard. Seems to have fixed my problems with stuttering or looping audio and crashes. Don't experience the horrible frame-rate dips caused by the stuttering either.

20. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

I notice that with Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines, upon level loads, and moving from a place ive been to, to a place I haven't, but my HDD is thrashing so I guess when I get another 512 stick so I will have uber 1GB dual channal even though it only gives a tiny boost on my AXP:)