Size for GeometryShader?

With this new "part" of the pipeline in uppcoming D3D10 cards how much logic including caches and stuff would you estimate it takes up?

Will it be like one or maybe two quads of say G70 or like 4VS units, just a guesstimate would be fine. Btw i take into account they will be 80nm parts in this case.

well we are moving to "uniformed shader" maybe they will unify this into the hardware? ( doubt it in a hurry ).

If we're talking about a USC, it would make sense to consider ALUs that are capable of PS/VS/GS for a D3D10 GPU.

In any other case either separate GS/VS would be an option or a geometry unit that could handle both, depending obviously on implementation.

Hardware size would be most likely in the direction of VS units and nowhere near multiple pixel quads IMHLO as always.

overclocked said:
With this new "part" of the pipeline in uppcoming D3D10 cards how much logic including caches and stuff would you estimate it takes up?
As has been mentioned, the logic/computation side should fit into the unified shader architecture - the exact implementation is probably only known to a few people ;)

As far as cache's go, there are quite a lot of restrictions on the GS->RS and GS->SO stages - so the cache/storage doesn't have to be huge. I'm not sure the exact details have made it into the public D3D10 documentation yet. I've only got the Dec '05 docs to hand (Feb '06 is on my other OS).

Jack

Back