Site upgrades

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by marco, Apr 20, 2003.

1. marco

Regular

Beyond3d will get some upgrades. I will go for full upgrade and maybe even an apache reboot this evening, from around 20.00 (GMT+1 hour).

* update:
    First step has been taken, I upgraded the security rules in apache.
    2nd step has been done, a recompile of PHP.

2. Reverend

Banned

Okay, the re-design/layout agrees with my taste (although I think our B3D logo needs to be linked as well).... well, with the understanding that the top banner needs to be bigger as well so our logo can't fit in there :) .

How is the "Featured Content" generated? Looks to be random and in error because we shouldn't have different "Featured Content" on different pages (check our front page and then our, say, Mission page to see what I mean). Also, its image seems to work on the front page but not on other pages.

3. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

The layout changes were separate to Marco's updates - Marco was doing 'behind the scenes' server maintainance, the layout changes were something I worked on over the weekend (partly to clean up the layout after the new banners and partly because I wanted to experiment with the featured content thing).

The featured content is randomly selected from a sample of articles in the DB. I can tell an article to be in the featured content list and it will (randomly) appear there after its shuffled off the top four articles links. It should only be on the front page, not others - they are in error.