Site icons in FireFox

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
I've (finally) moved over to FireFox. Now when you bookmark a site the site's icon will be used in your bookmarks menu as well. One thing I've nocited is that this works for 90% of the sites, but for some reason it just doesn't work on certain sites. For instance: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

The site clearly has an icon, it's showing up fine in the address field:
FireFoxIcons0.png

However, it doesn't show up in my bookmarks:
FireFoxIcons1.png

Does anyone know what's the cause of this?

I just use the 'Favicon Picker' extension to add an icon to the sites that either don't have one or aren't working right.

Those favicons make the bookmark toolbar really neat. I edit out the text since the icons alone are enough for me. Six of the favicons were custom added by me with the Favicon Picker extension(The Penny Arcade one actually wasn't one of them that one works for me).

clipboard02bc0.jpg

Have you actually used that bookmark? IIRC, Firefox doesn't check for the (old IE-style) favicon (for the bookmark list/bar) upon adding a bookmark, only when accessing it.

Edit: Or, perhaps it's just screwed up in FF3 sometimes.

Yep, I've used them. I found that it works if you delete and re-bookmark though. I guess it's something with some imported bookmarks from IE. Can't say what the broken ones might have in common though.

I've noticed this too happening in the awesomebar as well (read: sites NOT imported from anywhere else). FF 3.0.1 here.

FWIW, Opera farks up and loses the icons some times too.

Back