SiS To Spin Off Xabre Business?

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Digitimes reports that SiS is considering spinning off its graphics business from the main Chipsets business as a result of the internal reshuffle SiS has had, and their joining with UMC in many respects.

Spinning off the business could mean that a new company is formed that is directly responcible for the graphics development, but may still be owned or funded by the main business. One thing that this would do is easily highlight the profitability of the company such that if it isn't performing actions can be taken. It may also mean that the entity could be sold off as a whole at a later date.

Presently SiS chips are slightly stigmatised by poor image quality (due to the driver settings) and being purely aimed at the low end segement. Spinning off the business may mean that the new entity will offer a more complete range of products catering for many market segements, something which Digitimes reports the AIB's are in favour of.

2. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

Of course, who would buy the business?

3. Tagrineth

Tagrineth SNAKES... ON A PLANE
    Veteran

nVidia, of course. They need more 'Aggressive' modes. :p

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I was thinking VIA... They need more chip companies that they fail to do anything exciting with. :wink:

5. 8ender

Newcomer

I dont know, but I love the SIS as a system builder for its stability and ease of installation. Whenever I'm building a rock hard stable video editing box, I stick with SIS everything.

6. slaterat

Newcomer

SIS xabre

Doesn't really surprise me. I think SIS , right from the start tried to distance the xabre line from its other products. Xabre.com makes no references or links to older SIS graphics chips. In terms of financial accountability it makes sense too.

Slaterat

7. Mephisto

Newcomer

ROTFL!