SiS to present AGP 8X and DDR400 powered chipset at CeBIT

Sabastian

Regular
My question is this guys who has a 3DAccelerator that supports AGP 8X and DDR400 (PC 3200 DDR SDRAM) memory? Interesting rumor I wonder if it is true.

SiS to present AGP 8X and DDR400 powered chipset at CeBIT?

According to unofficial sources, SiS is going to showcase its SiS648 core-logic for motherboards at CeBIT, next week. What is really interesting regarding this chipset is the fact that it supports AGP 8X and DDR400 (PC 3200 DDR SDRAM) memory.

If SiS is really going to show how the chipset works with AGP 8X, meanwhile even Intel has not yet shown it, they will have to demonstrate it together with a 3D accelerator that supports AGP 8X. In this case, we wonder, which one will it be.

SiS will also show and announce its new version of SiS645 - SIS 645DX that supports Pentium4 processors with 533 MHz FSB.

http://www.reactorcritical.com/index.shtml#l1070

On 2002-03-06 20:50, DaveBaumann wrote:
perhaps you should read our news! ;)

Err hmm, to put it in the illustrious words of Homer Simpson..."Doe!". Sorry I am used to the old forum. For the most part I click past main page to here to see what threads are posted. I do have a problem with the page here though, often I get an error, something something "no news". Then if I click on the form shortcut I get another error. It seems to occur more often in the afternoon when I am most likely to be scouring for news. In fact it happened today immediately after posting this article. I don't know how many others are dealing with this problem but it happens to me on a daily biases. I will try to use the news posted here, particularly if it is very current. I like rumors but...yuk, if that is all they turn out to be. Often I post links for news that I and others are interested in. I will make a concerted effort to check the news out here.

Back to the original question, does anyone have an idea who may have a 3DAccelerator that supports AGP 8X and DDR400 (PC 3200 DDR SDRAM) memory coming down the tube? I have been looking for news concerning ATi and Cebit but it all seems very quite with the exception of the announcement that ATi will have the A3 & A4 chipset for CeBit made today. Http://216.12.218.25/domain/www.beyond3d.com/index.php#news345 ,Cough… :cool:

Ages ago ATi was rumored to have 8x AGP in development, I am thinking…ATi possibly has developed this? Don’t know and can’t really say for sure. Anyone else have an idea who may be possibly developing this? Thanks in advance.

Sabastian

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sabastian on 2002-03-06 22:20 ]</font>

Heheh – sorry, my reason for pointing that out is to try and promote the new ‘comments’ functionality we’ve got; the news generator has been integrated with the forum so the news is displayed on both the main page and in the forum and comments / discussion of the news can be added within the forum (either from the ‘comments’ link under the news article, or directly in the ‘News’ forum). I’m fairly certain that quite a large quantity of our visitors go directly to this forum and not look elsewhere within the site – which is something that I’m trying to encourage users not to do! :smile:

Anyway – the outages shouldn’t really be that frequent, but we have had a few database issues today. The news and the forum are both driven from the same database so if you get the ‘no news’ error then you are not likely to be able to view the forums either.

As to the actual question AFAIK nobody actually has an AGP8X card currently available. As you mention rumours pegged ATi having an 8X card, but that hasn’t materialised, and more recently it was believed that GF4 Ti 4600 would be 8X enabled, but that doesn’t seem to be the case either. IIRC SiS now have their own range of graphics cards so possibly they have developed an 8X capable one themselves, in conjunction with the chipset, or perhaps they are only going to demonstrate it with a 4X board.

I just googled some old press releases and came up to something that I was remembering, but wasn't sure anymore...

anyways:
http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/ag082400.htm :

Major Hardware Vendors Support AGP8x
As part of its broad effort to develop and implement AGP8x technology, Intel has engaged with graphics vendors ATI Technologies Inc., Matrox Graphics Inc. and NVIDIA Corporation to support the graphics initiative and to evaluate, comment on, and validate the AGP8x specification.

"ATI has been working closely with Intel to develop a robust AGP8x bus specification, and is pleased with the increased bandwidth enabled in this new graphics attach port. ATI will offer future members of the RADEON family that fully exploit AGP8x," said Henry Quan, vice president, Corporate Development, at ATI.

"Collaborating with Intel on the development of the AGP8x spec is particularly exciting since the extra AGP bandwidth will benefit the many innovative technologies being developed for future Matrox products," said Jean-Jacques Ostiguy, chief architect, Matrox Graphics Inc. "Because Matrox's graphics technologies invariably implement the most advanced industry standards, we can ensure that our customers are always two steps ahead.

"As a leader in worldwide graphics technology, NVIDIA relies on continuous platform innovation to progress the state of the PC," said Dan Vivoli, vice president of marketing at NVIDIA. "AGP8x is the kind of technology breakthrough we've come to expect from the key contributor, Intel."

Dave Baumann: so ATI's 8xAGP hasn't materialized and GF4Ti4600 didn't have it.
So there isn't many choices left anymore if we believe that Intel Press release. ;)

yep, Matrox is the only one from the pack that have been quiet long enough to take a step forward. And this time wisely, G400 was AGP4x compactible as a chip, but first boards supportted AGP2x only because there wasn't any Motherboards supportting it yet.

so I THINK, it COULD BE Matrox.

oh well, only time shows what's really being cooking at Montreal.

As of a few weeks ago a friend at Intel was saying he couldn't believe someone was releasing an AGP8x chipset when they haven't had anything to validate it with. Yep, at that time even Intel had not seen an AGP8x graphics card. As far as I know they still haven't. If we do all of a sudden see one it will definitely be pre-production silicon.

Via/SIS would love to have the upper hand and the defining force of first to market. I doubt via/sis would be sharing anything besides used needles with Intel.

Heh! :D

But I doubt that Intel would accept anything from VIA/SIS, even *if* it was thoroughly sterilized beforehand...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oompa Loompa on 2002-03-07 05:27 ]</font>

Back