SiS may use ATI graphic cores?

Not much detail:

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article2.asp?datePublish=2003/06/30&pages=06&seq=38

In a shareholders meeting on June 27, SiS chairman John Hsuan said that SiS would give preference to XGI graphics cores, but if demand sufficed, SiS would also source ATI graphic cores.

That would make for some pretty strange business relationships. This could mean two different things though:

1) SiS may decide to budle ATI IGP NorthBridges with it's own southbridge, and sell it as a SiS branded complete chipset package.

2) SiS may license the IGP graphics core from ATI, and integrate it into its own northbridge chip.

Joe DeFuria said:
Not much detail:

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article2.asp?datePublish=2003/06/30&pages=06&seq=38

In a shareholders meeting on June 27, SiS chairman John Hsuan said that SiS would give preference to XGI graphics cores, but if demand sufficed, SiS would also source ATI graphic cores.

That would make for some pretty strange business relationships. This could mean two different things though:

1) SiS may decide to budle ATI IGP NorthBridges with it's own southbridge, and sell it as a SiS branded complete chipset package.

2) SiS may license the IGP graphics core from ATI, and integrate it into its own northbridge chip.

Sniff, sniff. Yeah, this does smell interesting. ;) I see the former being more possible. I'm not convinced they would ever get enough demand where they would need to do the latter. I see the exact opposite happening though. Where they don't get enough demand and are forced to consolidate with somebody. Evidently they like ATI, so they would be a good candidate.

Tommy McClain

Ahh, possible connection - UMC.

ATI use UMC for 9200, that might span to RS300 as well. UMC and SiS are now tied at the hip.

Thats the connection I see, how this would play out I;ve no idea.

DaveBaumann said:

ATI use UMC for 9200, that might span to RS300 as well. UMC and SiS are now tied at the hip.

Thanks for making a "grassy knoll" conspriracy. ;) You could have also said both ATI and NVIDIA use TMSC, so there's a possible connection there too. Hehehe j/k ;)

Tommy McClain

DaveBaumann said:

Oh, that is a rather spicy idea. I read an article about SIS and UMC recently. ATi might consent to fab the RS300 at UMC for such a deal, if they aren't already. TSMC would definitely have the capacity to produce the chipset. Meanwhile SIS would not be very competitive in the integrated market without such a good/cheap integrated graphics core. I'd say that this has the makings of $$one juicy rumor.$$ The associations make sense and ATi is already a decent buy IMHO. I would be surprised nonetheless if SIS were actually to take ATi's graphics core over their own integrated Xabre part.

don't laught about the UMC connection...

1995 August
ATI announces an agreement with United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC) and other joint ventures to build a semiconductor manufacturing facility in Taiwan

ATI eventually sold its share to help UMC's consolidation...

Just hope it won't end up like VIA & Trident.

Back