Sin City

Tim Murray

the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
Veteran
See it. I haven't seen a movie like this. Ever.

I don't even know if calling it a movie is accurate.

Aye , Its like nothing else I've ever seen... Unless you count that time i saw the ring after taking a hit of x and smoking a dime bag with a friend...... Buttttttttt with out drugs this is like nothing i've ever seen before

Blew me away.... Incredible movie......But be forwarned, to say it's violent is an understatement. I can't decide if it's more or less violent than Kill Bill...... Mickey Rourke is unbelieveible and Jessica Alba is....... to die for?

What Martrox said. To say that Rourke/Alba gave the only good performances would be incredibly wrong, but they were my favorite male and female characters respectively.

As for the movie.. the sentiment of BZB's post is spot-on. I've read Frank Miller (DKR and Year One) and I've read a load of comics.. and this movie is easily the closest we've come to a real comic-movie adaptation. Colors, camera angles, action, acting..

All like a comic book. It's the best new movie I've seen this year by far.

I loved it never read the comic either. The whole things was dark depressing and violent as hell. This is what kill bill should of been. I can't wait to see a uncut director edition DVD.

It it just me or does the yellow dude look just like quark from deep space nine?

Hehe.. yeah. I thought it could potentially be Armin Shimerman myself for a second.

It's the nose and the voice, I think.

time for me to sing the praises of Koroshiya Ichi. it's the only movie I've ever seen that is remotely similar to Sin City. it's far more violent than Sin City, but it's similar in the kind of shots, the themes, the plots where the conflict all lies in what's left unsaid...

5 out of 5. Amazing flick... never read the comic but Id love to see more movies if there are more stories in the series.

I never read this series, but it feels amazingly Millerish. 8)

A quote of mine from EB about something with Sin City:

You know what I just realized? This is going to be a great test to see how file sharing is really impacting the motion picture industry.

The movie had a killer opening weekend and a damn near DVD quality telesync of it came out late this weekend....the results of next weeks box for Sin City in the theatres should be telling of something.

I'm really excited now, this is the best barometer situation I've seen yet so far.
I think it will be interesting. :)

Of course, the movie might 'stink' and get bad word of mouth and that could sink their numbers. Or maybe something else bigger opens next week, etc.

/mw whsitles.....

what was the name of the flick again?...i just installed some torrent clients i need to test..... ;)

RussSchultz said:
Of course, the movie might 'stink' and get bad word of mouth and that could sink their numbers. Or maybe something else bigger opens next week, etc.
No, that ain't possible in this case Russ. The movie is excellent on several levels, that's why I think it'll make a great test case.

digitalwanderer said:
RussSchultz said:
No, that ain't possible in this case Russ. The movie is excellent on several levels, that's why I think it'll make a great test case.

ahhhh..... heh.... wlll...excellent you say?......

/me checks around :devilish:

Understand that if you totally abhor violence, you would be best served NOT seeing this. The best advice I can give is if Kill Bill was too much for you, don't go! However, if you like a bit of the ol' ultraviolence, me droogies, go viddy this.......... ;)

Great flic, 5 out of 5. Kill bill 1 is still my favorite of recent ultragore flics, but I hold a special place in my heart for film noir.

Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis are awesome. Ok Josh Hartnett is blah in the few scenes hes in. Michael Madsen a little underwhelming (and he usually steals it), and Stahl or whatever isn't that great as a villian (hes a pretty good actor all the same), but the other guy Clive Owen is pretty convincing.

The best villian though is Frodo, eech he doesn't have a line in the entire movie but he looks a bit like Golum and thats convincing enough.

I liked it.

I can see why some would be put off by the violence and some of the dark humor in the movie.

Enjoyment is probably dependent on how much long-winded dialogue and some over-the-top unrealism one is willing to accept.

There were a few scenes I felt were hokey, and Madsen must have been told to put out the absolutely flat acting job he did.

Overall, I feel it kept the mood very well despite a few moments that broke my immersion.

Back