Simple Anti-aliasing sampler tool...

fellix

Veteran
Well, it's not a "tool" exactly, but a kind of simulator. The purpouse of this is to give a opportunity to freely experiment with user selectable AA patterns. The tool consist of two parts - the AA render and the AA sampler:

render7va.png

sampler0ov.png

The AA samples coordiantes are stored in .txt file (samples.txt) and the count is limited to 100 of them. The sample coord's within a pixel ranges from 0.000000 to 1.000000 (note the precision), but the kernel size is not limited to one pixel, so you can make some offpixel sampling. There is no fixed grid however - if you want some ordered position for the samples, do some math and edit the coord's in the .txt file.
To determine the size of the window, you can start the program with following switches: "--xres= --yres=", ex.: fsaatest.exe --xres=128 --yres=128 for a smaller and faster window (note, that the performance decrease is linear to the screen pixels and number of samples).

The program is in a veeery alpha stage, implicting limited functionality (for now) and it's simple rendering engine is 100% software based - from the transformations to the final sampling and blending. The internal precision is 32-bit FP, however the rendertarget is 8-bit (so the autor is claiming that). Any feedback and reccomendations are welcome, and I hope the autor may join here, for a conversation. ;)

Grab the current build right here. <- updated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fellix,
Some things you (or the author) might want to try adding is to vary the weights applied to your samples. I'm guessing that currently all are given equal weights which makes it hard to simulate something like quincunx.

I've done similar test systems in the past.

You might want to add some weights as Simon suggested
and also drop some basic texture to see the effect of multisampling vs supersampling.

Sure, it will be done. ;)
And there is a performance optimization on the way, by addinng backface culling and I think some ordered grid (8*8, I presume) option will be included in AA sampler, for more flexible positioning of the samples.

As for the textures and alphatest, I can't say is this will be scheduled to be included.

============== Update ==============

OK, folks - the second build is here with the following changes:

* Improved rendering speed;
* EER grid added in AA sampler;
* Adjustable weight for every sample;
* New switch: "--wireframe" for wire mode;
* A default background.bmp is included, which you may remove or replace;

Use the link in the first post - the new build is there!

nice deferred renderer with fsaa! can come really handy when evaluating fsaa schemes.

btw, it can be optimised a bit re the way sample weights are applied - if you pre-normalised those weights prior to the frame loop you can save yourself the 1.f / total_weight multiplication per color sample.

ps: mnogo pozdrawi na Weselin, kak e hawata tiq dni wyw Warna? : )

Yet another build is ready for your pleasure.

Change log:

* Sampling speed optimization: a rapid two-pass reject buffering discards redundant sampling;
* New switch "--full", disables the above optimization (suitable for performance evaluation);
* This build is compiled for i686 marchitecture;

p.s.(darkblu): Скучно и студено. ;)

Back