Shouldn't Vertical Synchronization Reduce Power Usage? Intel Disagrees.

Discussion in 'Tools and Software' started by Alexko, Jan 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

I wanted to reduce the power usage of a game, so I figured I'd ask Intel's Graphics Command Center to always enable VSync for it. Yet the tool tells me that this actually increases power usage versus letting the application control it. I thought maybe this had something to do with driver overhead, but the tool also says that forcibly disabling VSync decreases power usage, which is also counterintuitive, as both disabling VSync and adding driver overhead should increase power usage.

Shouldn't VSync reduce the framerate and decrease power usage? After all, AMD does something similar to save power: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/frtc
    I think NVIDIA has a similar feature.

Am I missing something? Or did the Intel devs get things mixed up?

Sorry to make a whole thread for something so small, but I couldn't think of another place to post it.

digitalwanderer and BRiT like this.
  2. Putas

Regular Newcomer

Yes, frame rate limiters should decrease consumption.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  3. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

I don't know about vsync, but adaptive vsync (like freesync) was actually designed to reduce power consumption of laptops.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  4. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Thanks, happy to confirm I'm not crazy! :)

I guess either Intel's iGPUs behave very strangely, or there's a mistake in the Command Center.

5. glow

Newcomer

Well, sort of. The original tech that was leveraged into that, was designed for slower refreshes, mostly for static images over eDP (e.g, ~1Hz or less). It would power down the PHYs (saving power) while spinning up a buffer and some logic (consuming power) to "replay" the last received buffer to the display. Adaptive Sync doesn't really have the power saving advantages of gating the high speed PHYs.

Alexko likes this.