Should next-gen extend PC-like functionality of consoles? *spawn

sunscar

Regular
A second thought... Merge this if you need to.

Hardware manufacturers could just make this easier, pony up and give console users a competant OS with good basic applications, thus bridging the gap between console and PC.

Xboxes could have the option to dual-boot a candied-up, kid-friendly imbedded Win7 64 GUI with a dozen apps, or boot to game.

SONY could do similar with a custom LINUX GUI.

Well considering Mozilla is porting Firefox to the PS3 (lolwut, out of memory after 2 tabs) MS could make a reactionary (but nice if executed) move by partially opening up the ecosystem, adapting Windows Mobile 7++ (Silverlight based UI and .NET CE applications) to its nextbox.

Windows and upgrades won't come, they're just... ehh.

My opinion is that if next console should offer a more "pc like " experience manufacturers should better make it through cloud computing. Ms for instance could grow Live into a cloud computing service.
I don't want the burden that comes with computer on my console. Remote desktop, storage, application would be enough for me and would keep our precious RAM as clear as possible.

errrrgh....!

Dear Microsoft & Sony,

Next-gen, please just keep my precious consoles as consoles first and foremost. With all of the benefits of a closed-box system, and awesome games. I don't mind extra functionality, adherence to DX11 features and even DX12... I just want awesome games and alot more innovation beyond FPS' and TPS' next-gen.

Cheers,

P.S. Sony, tell studio liverpool to make me another Colony Wars to make me happy... kthnxbye

honestly i dont get it, when yellow dog linux arrived on ps3 everyone seemd to love that idea but when you hear rumours about ms doing same thing ( or at least considering same thing, well not linux ofc ;)) suddenly everyone hates that. Soooo whats the deal?

honestly i dont get it, when yellow dog linux arrived on ps3 everyone seemd to love that idea but when you hear rumours about ms doing same thing ( or at least considering same thing, well not linux ofc ;)) suddenly everyone hates that. Soooo whats the deal?

What are you talking about?

And???????

Do you have a post to quote that offended you?

If it's something off-board, do you have a link?

Without context, it sounds like you're building a strawman out of thin air.

err i thought and still think its a stupid idea. I have a great computer for doing things i want to do on a computer. I don't want to sit on a couch and surf my web on a 1080p tv screen across the room. I much rather use 1920x1200 screens 2 feet from me to do these things .

err i thought and still think its a stupid idea. I have a great computer for doing things i want to do on a computer. I don't want to sit on a couch and surf my web on a 1080p tv screen across the room. I much rather use 1920x1200 screens 2 feet from me to do these things .

I'm sure you wouldn't want the Mrs catching you viddying the 'ol prOn in the living room now? The children might see ;)

I'm sure you wouldn't want the Mrs catching you viddying the 'ol prOn in the living room now? The children might see ;)

No children thank god.

But seriously it hurts to read on a screen. I know cause I normaly hook my pc up to my tv in the game room to play pc games.

To be fair, something that doesnt suit your needs doesnt make it stupid. Personally i dont have a monitor, all my PC use is done from lying on my bed using a 42" LCD TV or 90" Projector screen and i wouldnt have it any other way. If a console had the ability to do everything i traditionally used my PC in a way that is equal or better i wouldnt complain, i would get rid of my PC. Also there is nothing to stop you from connecting a console up to a monitor and using it that way if you wish.

Its not something id like the consoles to push for really but if it was there, and for free, i would certainly appreciate it.

To be fair, something that doesnt suit your needs doesnt make it stupid. Personally i dont have a monitor, all my PC use is done from lying on my bed using a 42" LCD TV or 90" Projector screen and i wouldnt have it any other way. If a console had the ability to do everything i traditionally used my PC in a way that is equal or better i wouldnt complain, i would get rid of my PC. Also there is nothing to stop you from connecting a console up to a monitor and using it that way if you wish.

Its not something id like the consoles to push for really but if it was there, and for free, i would certainly appreciate it.

consoles are allways going to be behind computers. Its stupid to try and make them into something they are not. They will just hinder and hold back progress as they have done this gen.

a ps3 with 512 megs of ram where the gpu isn't even acessiable with linux is just silly trying to surf with it.

Next gen a 2-4 gig system will be equaly useless as many consumers will be moving to greater than 8 gig pcs with graphics cards now helping out with many web things and news of IE9 using gpu acceleration of text and graphics will be hindered by these consoles that come out.

The web will be held back by them.

I lol'd as regardless of what MS, Sony and Nintendo decide to put in their next round of consoles, it's of no relevance at all to the web. The web will only be held back by the underperformance of things like netbooks rather than consoles.

No one buys a console to surf the web on, they're video games machines first and foremost and always will be.

In answer to the earlier comment regarding OS' on consoles, I must clarify that such wasn't the thing I had a direct problem with when I made my previous statement.

My problem would be with any kind of PC-izastion of consoles by trying to turn them into h/w upgradable "living room" PCs, basically throwing out the door all the benefits of a closed box system in the first place.

Anyways, back OT... If the next Xbox is built as a games console first and foremost, then it doesn't matter what other features they subsequently decide to throw in the box "for free" ;)

consoles are allways going to be behind computers. Its stupid to try and make them into something they are not. They will just hinder and hold back progress as they have done this gen.

a ps3 with 512 megs of ram where the gpu isn't even acessiable with linux is just silly trying to surf with it.

Next gen a 2-4 gig system will be equaly useless as many consumers will be moving to greater than 8 gig pcs with graphics cards now helping out with many web things and news of IE9 using gpu acceleration of text and graphics will be hindered by these consoles that come out.

Yes PS3 impletation is not great, that doesnt make the idea itself silly. Also peoples activities on computers differ, for someone that uses a PC specifically for web browsing and playing media files a console that could do both well may be ideal. Not everyone has or needs state of the art PCs, there are plenty of people out there still using PIIIs with 256mb RAM. You are seeing things through the eyes of a technology enthusiast, not everyone sees things the same.

Consolse may always be behind PCs but if you are not making use of the extra that PCs offer then it is irelevant, in fact for many PCs are just a lot of hastle for doing a reletively simple task.

Yes PS3 impletation is not great, that doesnt make the idea itself silly. Also peoples activities on computers differ, for someone that uses a PC specifically for web browsing and playing media files a console that could do both well may be ideal. Not everyone has or needs state of the art PCs, there are plenty of people out there still using PIIIs with 256mb RAM. You are seeing things through the eyes of a technology enthusiast, not everyone sees things the same.

Consolse may always be behind PCs but if you are not making use of the extra that PCs offer then it is irelevant, in fact for many PCs are just a lot of hastle for doing a reletively simple task.

you honestly want me to believe there are still plenty of p3s out in the wild ? Please. The p3 has been out of product for 6 years now.

I know people use pcs for diffrent things. But the point is the web of today is diffrent than the web of five years ago and its because pc's keep advancing every day. Where as a console is limited to a fixed point in time. Get enough people using them as desktop replacements or their main web viewing device and we will see the web held back by them because sites will not want to upgrade and push them out of the way.

We already see the problem with pc gaming.

you honestly want me to believe there are still plenty of p3s out in the wild ? Please. The p3 has been out of product for 6 years now.

I know people use pcs for diffrent things. But the point is the web of today is diffrent than the web of five years ago and its because pc's keep advancing every day. Where as a console is limited to a fixed point in time. Get enough people using them as desktop replacements or their main web viewing device and we will see the web held back by them because sites will not want to upgrade and push them out of the way.

We already see the problem with pc gaming.

Yep, i do. Just last week i reinstalled windows on 2 friends family PCs, both PIIIs. And yes i did have a go about it and tell them to upgrade, the answer i got back was that its fine for what they use it for. Certainly P4s are very widespread, of the 3500 PCs at my work around 75% are still using P4s.

Internet wont be held back by consoles when you have a huge migration to mobile device browsing, PS360 are 3-4 years old and are still more powerful than the latest netbooks and mobile phones, and the vast majority of home PCs.

Id be willing to bet the majority of PC owners dont upgrade their sytems at all and just go out and buy a new one every five years or so, thats certainly my experience with most except PC gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well its kind of gone onto whether consoles should have basic PC functionality like web browsing or media playback. Though yes, it doesnt have much to do with the initial topic. Im done here anyhow;)

Back