Should I wait and buy/play the Aria & Harmony 2-pack before getting DoS?

Crusher

Aptitudinal Constituent
Regular
I'm getting a DS for christmas, and this will be the first console-style system I've owned since I had a Playstation briefly, so I'm trying to get back into the console world of games and find things I'll enjoy. I hear nothing but good things about Dawn of Sorrow, but I don't know if I should just get that having not played any of the other recent installments. I haven't played a Castlevania game since the original on the NES, so I have no idea where the series is at.

I see that early next month there will be a 2-pack released that contains both Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance for about the same price as either of these games alone. From what I've read, Dawn of Sorrow is a kind of sequel to Aria of Sorrow, but I don't know how how closely connected they are, or how Harmony plays into it.

Would I be missing out on anything if I just got DoS?

yes, DoS and AoS are somewhat similar - the main protagonist is the same, some of the NPCs are the same, but the monster souls you collect are totally new. well, most of them. so you could say DoS is basically more of the same, but given that AoS is a killer platformer, among the best of all times, you can't go wrong with DoS. the latter is also sheer 2D platformer beauty.

so what is this AoS & HoD pack you were mentioning?

Back