Should I accept a 5870 for a 4870X2?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Quitch

Veteran

Two months ago I had a fault with my PowerColor 4870X2 card and sent it in for repairs. After a month I got a replacement... a 4890. I informed the reseller of their mistake (and my displeasure) and we've spent another month fannying around while they try to acquire another 4870X2 (even though one of their competitors has been stocking it the whole time).

They say they're waiting on the manufacturer, but now they've offered me a 5870 as a replacement instead of a 4870X2.

My initial reaction was to reject it out of hand, it's not as good my brain said. However, a quick Google showed some contradictory results, to me and to one another. Therefore I thought I'd consult the experts because I'm sure its been analysed to death on this site.

The 5870 supports DX11, but this isn't a big thing for me because I don't doubt that by the time this really matters I could be buying a 6xxx to replace my 4870X2. What matters is which is giving the best performance now at 1920x1200. My 4870X2 was a card of 16xAF and 4xAA with every other setting in games like Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 set to high. With that benchmark, what should I do?

2. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Yes, you should. Minimum framerate on the 5870 will be better than your x2, and chances are most games will show better average performance with the 5870 as well.

And since it's a single GPU, it's guaranteed acceleration on all games, not just games that happen to play nicely with Crossfire.

3. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

YES!!!

Take it and say, "thank you!"....they're doing you a big favor. :yep2:

DISCLAIMER: This is coming from a guy who has a 4870x2 and a 5870.

4. Quitch

Veteran

I don't think I'd go that far. After two months I'm not feeling very well disposed towards them. I'm just glad there's light at the end of the tunnel.

5. digitalwanderer

Legend

Ouch, I'm just going on my first month with an RMA hell on a motherboard so you have my full sympathies...I feel your pain.

How about if I say, "You'll be much better off in the end this way"...that work better?

6. Quitch

Veteran

Just so long as I fall back in love with Fallout 3 once I'm online. It's a real kicker to be so addicted to something and then BAM, GPU failure. I had to fall back to my laptop (thank God for a backup device) and work on the backlog. KOTOR down ;)

Thanks, chaps!

7. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

I would accept a 5870 to replace a 4870x2 for sure, but then I care about DX11.

8. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Even if there was no DX11 it's a good swap.

9. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

the 5870 will probably get better down the road with newer drivers. it also has new features (supersampling on older games)

10. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

With all the added advantages a HD5870 has (powerconsumption, heat etc.) you'd actually be crazy not to.

11. Quitch

Veteran

And so I have and it's on its way. Hurrah!

12. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

You'll have to drop in and let us know how you like it compared to your previous X2 card :)

13. Quitch

Veteran

Have AMD changed how ATI ship drivers? The Catalyst 9.9 package wouldn't see the 5870, but downloading the recommended driver from support.amd.com and everything worked fine.

Not sure I'll be able to give a fair comparison, the machine is being rebuilt using Windows 7 in a day or two, but I'll let you know :)

14. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

9.9 was built prior to 5870 shipping. The "recomended driver" is a beta of Cat 9.10.

15. Quitch

Veteran

Ah, no wonder. I was thinking the 5870 was older than that. Shows how out of touch I am.

Thanks, Dave!

And tell them to bring back the tree interface in the Catalyst Control Centre, the new method is just so clunky by comparison.

16. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Seconded. I sorely miss the tree everytime I start up Catalyst. I used to enjoy using the CCC, now I dread it.

Regards,
    SB

17. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

If you open an application and your first response is "where the F*** am I supposed to click now", you know something is wrong. Can I trade my CCC for a HD5870 please?

18. Quitch

Veteran

I fired up Fallout 3 last night and moved from 4x AA (adaptive) to 8x AA (adaptive) and it felt silky smooth. I don't recall why I moved down from 4 to 8 on the 4870X2 though and I didn't hit anywhere with a lot of smoke or fire, so who knows how long this will last.

Anyway, it's Windows 7 rebuild time now so I'll see you on the other side.

19. digitalwanderer

Legend

Best of luck Quitch, we'll be here when you get through.

20. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Everything is silky and smooth..!

(but only because Microsoft gave me a couple of copies of Win7 and 2008R2)