Should Beckham loose his captaincy for his "intelligent

Should Beckham loose his captaincy for his "intelligent" act?

• Total voters

Leto

Newcomer
http://sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3616972

“I fouled Thatcher, it was deliberate. I knew straight away I had broken my ribs. I have done it before, so I thought: ‘Let’s get the yellow card out of the way’,†he told the newspaper.

Beckham congratulated himself for his supposed ‘intelligence’, arguing that “I’m sure some people think that I haven’t got the brains to be that clever, but this shows that I do have the brainsâ€.

I think he should, that is just low. A leader should be the last to do such a stupid thing.

Re: Should Beckham loose his captaincy for his "intelli

Leto said:
I think he should, that is just low. A leader should be the last to do such a stupid thing.

To be brutally honest, for Beckham I thought it was rather clever. Assuming his post-match justification is a truthful representation of his train of though on pitch, and not just a cover for seeing the Red Mist once again.

Face it, football is full of gamesmanship. I doubt he's the first to employ this little stratgem, I doubt he'll be the last. If he wasn't English there'd be no problem whatsoever (Yes, I realise that's a provocative statement!).

He's a muppet for admitting it, that's what he should be crucified for.

I didn't see the foul. Did he have to make the foul? Did it really help England? If he stopped a guy from scoring then that would have justified it somewhat. But fouling just to get the yellow card is not clever in any way. It only shows heavy disrespect for the opponent players wellbeing. Such a bad display of fairplay should earn him a suspention.

No, he didn't really have to make the foul. The player he tackled had already broken his (Beckhams) ribs for him.

I dare say he will be suspended. I wouldn't put it beyond the bounds of possibility that England will be thrown out of the World Cup for this incident.

By they way...

"It's nothing new" says former England defender (well know for his brains (NOT!)):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/3736448.stm

This is comical... :LOL: but why did he choose to make it public?? Now I doubt if he has "brain".. :D

This is a storm in a tea-cup cooked up by the media. Beckham knew he wouldn't be able to play in the next game so he took the opportunity to remove a yellow-card that was hanging over his head.

The media, including many old England players then castigate the man for being stupid and the "red-mist" descending. His challenge on Thatcher wasn't "red-mist", or he'd have gone in two-footed with studs up. And this all after he'd scored a great goal to seal the match.

I sympathise with Beckham utterly. He wins the game, gets injured and then uses his head to remove a threat to his future performances for his country and gets called an idiot. Who wouldn't react? The media are the ones who should be ashamed, as usual.

He IS stupid for making it public. But i think that he just doesn't care anymore, he has a bank account with more digits than he can count, an embarrassing wife to support and 2 cute kids to worry about, as they're already coming into typical Essex thug-age. Oh and let's not forget the monthly PA whore claiming she shagged him at one point in their lives, but always (conveniently) after he got married with Broomstick.
I think football is not his main priority anymore, it hasn't been for quite a while methinks...

Re: Should Beckham loose his captaincy for his "intelli

nutball said:
He's a muppet for admitting it, that's what he should be crucified for.

Exactly.

Personally, I'm all for Sol Campbell as captain. Hell, even Gary Neville.

I'd have thought Gerrard would be the obvious option as Captain (when fit). Campbell is a good defender but not the kind of player who is a 'leader' on the park.

I wouldn't want Gary Neville to be Captain because he's a tosser. 8)

I dunno, Gerrard doesn't seem like much of a leader to me, plus of course the fitness issues you mentioned. I think a lot of people underestimate Campbell's intellect (well, in footballer terms anyway), and I think he's grown up a lot to the point where I could see him captain a side.

And yes, Neville is a tosser, but then so is Beckham. ;)

What a lot of nonsense. The man used the rules of the game to his - and the team's - advantage, and we pillory him for it.

The Independent today has an article that alleges he did the same thing at the end of last season for Madrid. The response from the Spanish press couldn't have been more different than from Fleet Street:

The Independent said:
The practice is sufficiently common in Spain, that they have a term for it: forzar una tarjeta amarilla - "forcing" the yellow card. Far from castigating Beckham for his actions, the Spanish press applauded them, as John Carlin noted in his new book. "The Spanish sports press saluted Beckham's wisdom" he writes in White Angels: Beckham, Real Madrid and the new football, "and celebrated the glorious return to life of the Galacticos..."
If the UK press had reacted like this, no-one would be calling for Beckham's captaincy to come to an end. And let's not forget, he'd just scored the winning goal in a crucial World Cup qualifier.

Back