SHMUP, iOS 60 Hz, And Other Stuff

Lazy8s

Veteran
Fabian Sanglard's non-blog has a lot of interesting technical pieces, including his work on a 60 fps vertical scrolling universal iOS shooter app named SHMUP.

http://fabiensanglard.net/

He also included a method for 60 Hz iOS videos, some high level analysis of the Doom engine and implementation on iPhone hardware, and some interesting Doom 3 asset demos.

I like that he uses C for his game engines. I mean, the pragmatic side of me knows that this can't be ideal but as someone who mainly uses C I can't help but cheer him on ;p

I like that he uses C for his game engines. I mean, the pragmatic side of me knows that this can't be ideal
Hmm? This is probably not the right place to have this conversation, but I've never understood where the productivity improvements of C++ versus C99 are supposed to come from. The only thing I'm genuinely missing when sticking to C99 are templates, and they tend to be abused so much and hurt compile times so badly that I can't get myself to cry over it. The difference between C99 and C++ is rather small compared to the difference between C++ and python/lua/whatever.

If I had to make a game engine from scratch and wouldn't have to worry about PPC compatibility, I'd use C99 for the core engine and luajit via FFI for everything else. The ARM port of luajit isn't quite there yet (ARMv5 without VFP only!) but I'm sure in time it'll be as ridiculously fast as the x86 version. And FFI really simplifies and speeds up a lot of things compared to standard lua/C interaction and even lua in general.

Back