Shellshock: Nam'67 (Based on KillZone Engine)

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Link: the-magicbox.com

Release: June 2004

Eidos will release ShellShock: Nam '67 for PS2 and Xbox in US in June 2004, a new action third person shooter developed by Guerrilla Games. The game is developed on Guerrilla's Killzone game engine.

So interestingly it is going to be released before KZ....

Mmmmm Killzone engine on Xbox... That will be interesting to see...

Anyway, they should try to change the setting a bit, i mean i'm kinda tired of war-related games.... They might as well call this Killzone: Operation Vietnam

I wonder what a Nam game could be about OTHER than the US getting its butt spanked and generally not accomplishing much that has any real value?

It's a very controversial conflict anyway that was fought from purely political and economical reasons, in which incredible atrocities were committed and from which people today are STILL suffering today, on both sides I might add.

Can it be ethical to make entertainment out of something like this, to make MONEY from it???

Guden Oden said:
Can it be ethical to make entertainment out of something like this, to make MONEY from it???

It depends on how the game is presented. If it doesn't insult people, I think it's ok.

killing things is fun, it hardly matters where or when it happens. And killing things is always bad, again it really doesn't matter where/when it happens. WW2 has been done waaay to many times and nam seems like a good alternative. Its always good to base game on real events, makes them more immersize.

Perhaps it will seek to follow the same formula that many successful Vietnam movies have trailblazed- to not only show the violence, but the profound struggle, suffering, and atrocity in the form of storyline mood. Invariably there could be that moral where the "good guys" aren't necessarily good afterall, nor the "bad guys" necessarily bad, and the notions of "good" and "bad" are blurred altogether, becoming essentially meaningless to capture the real matters involved from that chapter of history. It's yet another immersive way to introduce a "piece of history" for examination by a young, new generation who unwittingly believe they are just jumping into a "game" rather than an experience. Well, I guess the potential is there to do that...or it could just be another cheap, marketing-advised production...

randycat99 said:
Perhaps it will seek to follow the same formula that many successful Vietnam movies have trailblazed- to not only show the violence, but the profound struggle, suffering, and atrocity in the form of storyline mood. Invariably there could be that moral where the "good guys" aren't necessarily good afterall, nor the "bad guys" necessarily bad, and the notions of "good" and "bad" are blurred altogether, becoming essentially meaningless to capture the real matters involved from that chapter of history. It's yet another immersive way to introduce a "piece of history" for examination by a young, new generation who unwittingly believe they are just jumping into a "game" rather than an experience. Well, I guess the potential is there to do that...

Doubt it. There aren't too many videogames that stray to far from the Chuck Norris or Dolf Lundgren depictions of war. It's alot easier to view with it from a Manichean perspective. Plus, I think that having a game that tried to be disturbing in the sense that Full Metal Jacket or Platoon were might be difficult to stomach when you're supposed to be the one pulling the trigger.

Back