Shadowrun "High Capacity Particle System" discussed in latest developer blog.

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Brimstone, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Brimstone

Brimstone B3D Shockwave Rider
    Veteran

The latest blog entry discusses the "particle systems" FASA developed for Shadowrun. In paticular the newest one designed after E3 and how it enchances the graphics in the game. The one used during e3, pixelstorm, was a carry-over from Mechwarrior 4. They use both particle systems for the game, it just depends which one suits their needs.

To just highlight how awesome the particle effects are, the guy from Slashdot in paticular was blown away by how striking the game looks compared to E3. A lot of this seems to stem from the particle system.

These graphical impressions were from GDC. Obviously the new particle system is paying off.

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/03/09/1726246.shtml

With that I'll segue into some highlights from the blog.

http://blogs.ign.com/FASA_Studio/2007/03/16/49435/

[​IMG]

2. _phil_

Veteran

Is this what is called stateless GPU particles ? if so ,it's pretty well known tech....

3. chris100

Newcomer

4. Brimstone

Veteran

FASA updated information on the summon minion spell and included a few new screenshots on the website. Or at least I hadn't seen these screenshots before. Minions should be a good example of the particle system at work.

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://shadowrun.com/gameguides/magic/summon.htm

5. almighty

Banned

6. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

I dont see anything amazing in those shots

7. Platon

Veteran

I can imagine that their engine is great and that they can do a lot of tricks, unfortunetly it just doesn't show in the game, I don't know if it is because of the art or because it will be an online multiplayer and they keep things simple, but impressive it is really not...

8. Rainbow Man

Veteran

I'm amazed nobody's complained yet about the lack of (environment) shadows in these shots. Must be because it's not a PS3 game. :cool:

I know very little about this title. The summoned monsters (demons?) look quite interesting. I love in-game pets. Ecxept those in black and white maybe because they were more work than anything else to deal with..

If it's multiplayer only though I think I'll pass. I prefer campaign type gaems.
    Peace.

9. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

It may be due to their wanting to keep a solid 60fps with all the players on screen. The potential is there. The models are pretty high poly.

Then I suppose you'll have to pass. ;) It's multiplayer only, and there is no real single player ladder ala UT2k4. There are only 9 multiplayer maps.

#9 AlBran, Mar 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  10. scooby_dooby

Legend

Must be cause no-one really cares about this game... (no offense brimstone! :p )

11. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

No, you only missed the slamfest by 9 months. Seeing as only a handful of people even care and the rest of us got out all our points moons ago there is no point discussing it. I won't even waste my time now discussing the title. If it plays well we can talk later, but the beta users I know don't seem to think so.

12. blakjedi

Veteran

This game should have been a modern day Assassins Creed on steriods... oh well..

13. Brimstone

Veteran

Crysis

http://blog.fyrfli.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/crysis-20060508022306999.jpg

Shadowrun

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1483/full-res/1173711780.jpg

Crysis will require a cutting edge PC and as a result will have an edge visually, but I see Shadowrun hanging in just fine despite PC's having a vast ocean of RAM.

People that would like an alternitive to Halo's "run and gun" gameplay and desire a more tacticle game style similar to Counter-Strike will have an intrest in Shadowrun.

14. Rainbow Man

Veteran

Oh well that sucks then.

So what is the gameplay like anyeway?
    (If you don't want to discuss the game someone else can answer in youtr stead! :cool:)

If players can summon demon-like pets it makes me think it's kind of swords and sorcery-like? Or do you have guns also maybe? I guess there's an official website and movies on youtube and stuff but it's more fun to ask here than to go on a romp across the web to find info hee he.

Peace.

15. Brimstone

Veteran

Yes you can cast spells.

Basicly you have 3 slots where you can assign either a spell or technology.

Left Trigger
    Left Bumper
    Right Bumper

Right Trigger always fires your gun.

Spells cost essence to cast. You have an essence meter that shows how many magic points you have.

Technology takes away from you permanent amount of essece. So if you equip with a lot of technology powers, you become more cyborg-like but you don't have many magic points to cast spells.

So you balance technology and magic or you can just cocentrate on one of these areas.

16. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Ain't that the truth. Notice all the qualitative comparisons of Bullet Witch! ;)

Though, amusingly, I'd have a better opinion of it as a game if I didn't consider it a horrible application of the Shadowrun license.

17. Rainbow Man

Veteran

That sounds very cool. On paper anyway.
    Is there anything in particular the devs seem to have screwed up?

I seem to remember the mix of magic and technology from some kind of adventure game that came out in the past. You started at a crashed airship or somesuch. Of course that could have been something completely different. Gaems borrow all kinds of stuff from other games.

I suppose it's just plain EASIER to make online-only shooting games. No need to invent a plot or quests or make huge sprawling vistas and lots of monsters to squish and loot to gather etc.

Though the super long development cycle of some online shooters (Quake Wars, UT07 etc) kind of speak against this theory also.

Who can say for sure. :cool: Maybe the reason some online games take a long time is largely because of limited manpower.
    Peace.

18. whatever7

Newcomer

My only interest to this game is how much better (or worse) it will do compare to Pinata sales.

19. Sis

Sis mental_v-sync=off;
    Veteran

I thought Pinata sales were doing ok with supposedly lasting sales (though obviously not the break-out you'd hope). Didn't Animal Crossing have long legs? Anyway, I would compare this game more to something like Prey or Quake 4. If it doesn't do as good as those, then something went wrong.