Shadow of the Colossus:background chronicles. What you think happen with the ico saga

pixelbox

Regular
I know it's old but man, i just finished this again and it sparked so passion...again! This story is just incredible and some questions arose about the dormin.

SPOILERS...

What makes them the bad guys? How do we know they are the antagonist? And how does this tie into ico. Now i think SOTC happen before ico and i also think the main guy and his girl started the whole curse of the horned generation. What i don't get is what happened between the viliagers and dormin why were the dormin separated into 16 idols. Also why was that girl sacrificed because of her destiny. DISCUSS

pixelbox said:
Can someone anwser what is that pale girl from ico? Is she a ghost, demon, what?

You know when you read a book or watch a movie and things aren't explained to you and you have to basically go with your imagination and make of the story whatever you want..........? We call it interpreting... ;)

pixelbox said:
I know it's old but man, i just finished this again and it sparked so passion...again! This story is just incredible and some questions arose about the dormin.

SPOILERS...

What makes them the bad guys? How do we know they are the antagonist? And how does this tie into ico. Now i think SOTC happen before ico and i also think the main guy and his girl started the whole curse of the horned generation. What i don't get is what happened between the viliagers and dormin why were the dormin separated into 16 idols. Also why was that girl sacrificed because of her destiny. DISCUSS

Dormin seemed like an evil being with some evil intent (like taking over the world or something -- who knows... all we know is he was a big enough threat that he needed to be locked away).

The girl seemed like just any normal girl. Infact, I'm not even sure that the hero really knew her (after playing Ico, I think Ueda likes the idea of a sort of unquestionable kindness -- to where a character will do things out of pure kindness just to help the person... like Ico saving Yorda just because she was there) -- he may have seen her and saw she needed help (and maybe he thought she was beautiful and thought he could get some action for saving her? who knows) and found a way to do it. The girl's history is rather irrelevant, actually, why she is in the state she is in is not really the point of the story -- it's a story about love and kindess and self sacrifice (to help someone)... at least that's the way I saw it (and Ico too).

I'm not convinced that Ico and SotC are actually part of the same story -- I think the baby at the end was thrown in just as a homage to Ico fans more so than to link the stories.

I think a lot of the story is purposely left vague so that the it doesn't get clouded with details and can focus on the two characters in their current states -- the focus is on "saving the princess" and not their histories (much like the early mario games -- mario and pals didn't have back stories really -- I suppose its a bit deeper than that, but it's similar in that respect).

Why do you (your character) have to save the girl (or Yorda)? Because you're the only one in the position to save them -- without you they would be helpless.

It's hard to explain (and maybe a bit fragmented), but that was my interpretation of what Ueda was trying for and what I got from it.

Shadow of the Colossus Hidden Underlying Meaning

A guy at work sent me this about a month back. I don't know where he got it, so I can't give a link. In any case it's quite a lot of speculation, but very interseting.

Someone stated recently on these boards that Dormin spelled backward is
Nimrod. He was really on his way to understanding the deeper meaning of
'Shadow of the Colossus', but then he mentioned that Nimrod was in the
bible and another user quickly tried to say that it was turning into a
"religious debate". That's really pitiful.

Anyway, Ueda certainly used more than Nimrod's name...

Spoilers ahead...

The giants in the bible are called Nephilim (aka Titans or Colossi). It
means 'the fallen ones' because the giants were the offspring of fallen
angels and human women.

Did you know the Nimrod is one of the most famous people in the world?
Nearly every culture has an account of those who fell from the heavens
and begat children with human females... and the most famous in the
geneology of giants? Nimrod! Though he has many different names in many
different cultures (Odin, Osiris, etc.) he was the object of worship for
many ancient pagan cultures.

I will try to keep this as short as possible so I'll just list a few
facts that SOTC fans will find more than interesting...

-Nimrod had the blood of giants in his family.

-He was the first king and he built the first city (Babylon) and in it
he built a tower (Babel) for the purpose of worshipping multiple gods.
Remind you of a certain place with walls of idols?

-Many stories of Nimrod exploit his fierce strength. The most famous
account involves killing a bull with his bare hands and wearing it's
horns on his head to strike fear into those who would oppose him. (many
believe this to be the origin of the royal crown) Does 'horned giant
ring a bell?

-When Nimrod died, his body was cut into pieces and and sent to the
cities of his kingdom. (much like the way Dormin's demise involved being
split and divided in his kingdom)

-After his death, his wife named Semiramis supposedly became impregnated
by Nimrod's spirit and she had a son named Tammuz (also mentioned in the
Bible) who was thought to be Nimrod reincarnated. (Could this be the
child in the pool? Did he take over his father's kingdom like Tammuz
did? Could he be the one depicted in the horned statue in Ico?)

-The end of the Nimrod story is similar as well. His wife was worshipped
more than he or Tammuz because of her "immaculate conception". She was
the first to be worshipped as a fertility goddess. After Tammuz's death
(he was killed by a boar's tusk in the heel and would later be written
into greek mythology as Achilles, famous for his heel) she remained the
queen of Nimrod's kingdom, much like the queen in Ico.

Is the damsel in SOTC a Semiramis character? If so, she is the Queen
who's death spells redemption for little Ico.

Tell me what you think! There is a lot more to the story, but I don't
want to bother if no one is interested. I've studied ancient Babylon for
a few years now and I've got to say... This game is deep!

If you want to know more about ICO there was a great novelasation published last year here in Japan. I'm pretty sure it is being translated into English, etc. The author Miayabe Miyuki is quite talented, so it's more than your run of the mill game turned into book/movie garbage.

This is going a little off topic but when watching the new Munich film I couldn't help but think of Shadow of the Colossus. The similiarites between the objectives anyways. Not the characters.

Back