ShaderX 2 Contents - Clues to PowerVR Series 5?

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, May 27, 2003.

1. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

SA doesn't post very often, but his posts are always interesting. I bet he's been quoted more often than he's posted.

2. Anonymous

Veteran

Definitely 3dcgi. I don't think that I'm the only one that believes that he's as objective as one can be (besides the obvious high level of knowledge).

Teasy,

If my memory serves me well, JC stated more than once that he has tried to pull NV30 and R300 through single pass rendering, I just don't recall neither the specifics nor the result.

My personal estimate is, that if Carmack should be impressed with a high end TBDR, that he'd sit down and do a couple of experiments with it.

Even with multipass I'd still say that the stencil fillrate advantage is going to help more than just a bit. Other factors will just hold it back to get a more than simple lead over competing sollutions. IMO what would be interesting to know is of how many exactly Z/stencil operations it will be capable per clock. With KYRO already getting 32, I don't think I'm too far off speculating for at least 128.

***edit: grrrr forgot to log in again *sigh*

3. Teasy

Veteran

I'm pretty sure that was shading though (that he couldn't do in a single pass), the two pass technique I'm talking about is deliberate and AFAICS it could be done in a single pass on NV30 or R300 (all be it with lower performance due to more overdraw when rendering).

4. Anonymous

Veteran

5. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

6. Captain Chickenpants

Regular

[edit]
    Ignore me, my brain is addled
    [/edit]

7. Anonymous

Veteran